Coned arbor pivots

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Fellow repairers,
I'm working on an Asian clock that has coned ends on the winding arbors. Is this normal? The arbor bearing surface covers the plate thickness only. The end shake on one is such that when I bush the front plate, I'll need to allow it to be proud on the inside of the plate. Does this seem like a good repair method?
Thank you. 020.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region
As long as the arbor is supported by the full thickness of the plate that is fine. Can't recall seeing arbor ends tapered like that but don't see a problem..What amount of end play do you have now? And why do you think it is too much??

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Vernon, I have a 31 day Korean movement apart now, so your thread got me interested. While the great wheels are not coned, most of the others are. Smooth taper ending in sort of a small ball tip. I wonder if this is to aid assembly? Easier to find the bush and guide it in.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
It's too much in that it causes the coned area to fall within the bearing area, then you see daylight through the hole! What is interesting is that there is that beefed up bushing and it is not being used.

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I wonder if the coned arbor is the Asian answer to the oil sink? It would direct oil to the bearing surfaces.

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
I wonder if the coned arbor is the Asian answer to the oil sink? It would direct oil to the bearing surfaces.
Well the one I am working on definitely has oil sinks. INteresting that they are on the front and back of the plates for most of them.

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
If your end shake is to drastic. You can make a metal sleeve to slide over the pivot to make the arbor longer. This will reduce your end shake. I don't work on many Asian clocks because of the unpolished pivots and the craftsman ship is very poor. I have worked on many clocks where the pivot has broken off, and an extended bushing was installed to take up the lack of there of. The cones maybe for the end of the arbor to not dig into the side wall of the bushing. I see that you bushings are a pit high. I would clean those smooth where the cone meets the arbor. This will cause a power loss after time. Smooth it would dig in as much and it will have a smooth edge to ride on when it starts to tilt.

H/C

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iandb
Encyclopedia Pages