Comtoise clock with phases of the Moon

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by ballistarius, Nov 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The last Comtoise/Morbier clock I purchased was one displaying the phases of the Moon. I had always looked for one at reasonable price and I found this one. It came along with its pressed brass pendulum, wich was a kind of bonus. Polichromy was more or less preserved, too. Maybe some day I'll take the paints from the drawer...:p
    IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    The enamelled dial is more ornated than usual. It displays a landscape in the middle which puts 'in context' the circular cutout above as if it were the moon itself.

IMG_3138.JPG
    'LEPAGE-DILGER à Noyon' is, as always, just the name of the retailer. 'Breveté S.G.D.G.' stands for 'Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement' (patent without government guarantees) (Thanks, Wikipedia!;))
    IMG_1778.JPG IMG_1780.JPG
    Typical innards of a late 19th-early 20th century Comtoise, except for the moon disc with four moons. The drive is like a calendar one, forcing a 'jump' each 24 hours.
    IMG_1774.JPG IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1776.JPG
    The disc is made of brass. Stamped on it 'LEGER à MOREZ' The man holding the patent, I suppose, and 'BREVETE S.G.D.G.'
    At its back, a star of 118 points, intended to make a complete turn each four lunar cycles.
    The movement had remains of an alarm mechanism, which I had completed (I love alarm mechanisms:rolleyes:)

Aitor

Chris Radano likes this.
  2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking clock, but why the orange background? That seems odd.

Tom

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The moon disc appears to be repainted. I would look for some original examples and probably copy an original design.

Uhralt

4. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom and Uhralt. That very same thing thought I when I examined the moon disc.o_O
    Notwithstanding I found later a similar clock, with a similar dial (different landscape but the same dial layout), this one displaying moon and calendar:
    Moon and date.jpg bmhv.jpg gxnt.jpg
    The same lousy colours: A translucid orange varnish, barely obscuring the brass behind, and the four moons , crudely painted in 'panzer' grey.
    Could it be that the moons on my disc were repainted, but I'm now sure that, if so, they wouldn't look much better in origin...:?|

Aitor

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So wait. Is the gray to represent the new moon? In the first photo above, it looks like the first quarter is represented. That would make more sense than the way I was thinking about it and orange is a little more appropriate, although I think yellow or white would be better. I'm not sure why I was thinking about this backwards.

Tom

6. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not at all, Tom: Grey is intended to depict the FULL moon:eek:!
    Absurd as it seems (and IS), those are the colours originally intended: orange for background and grey for the moon...:screwball:
    Of course, I'd have rather preferred a more 'classical' approach to the subject, like that on my (still in 'pending tasks') Dutch staartklok,
    P5230197.JPG
    but so are things...;)

Aitor

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think in English clocks this design is called a "penny moon".

Uhralt

8. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, though they usually have 59 teeth. The 118 are the full moonroller with two moons. This is presumably pushed on once every 24 hours which is why it needs four moons.

9. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's it, Nick: a jump every 24 hours:)

Aitor

10. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can get penny moon lantern clocks here from the 17th century, though very rare, and Dean has what we would call a halifax moon or axe head on a 16th century renaissance clock.