Comtoise chime off

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bucksctytt, Sep 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bucksctytt

Bucksctytt Registered User

Aug 5, 2019
    Male
    Chef
    USA - ITALY
    Country Flag:
    This is my second Comtoise clock but first time tearing one down and back together.

Now that its cleaned up - It is keeping great time but the chime ( strikes on the hour and a second one minute to after as well as a single strick on the half hour ) is out of sync with the time. IE .. clock time is spot on but the chime ( accurate strikes) pops off a bit too late. Is there an adjustment I missed in putting this baby back together? Could it be the weights?

Thank you for the help getting me here.. lots of useful tips and encouragement for a newbie.
    Thom

IMG_2735.jpg IMG_2736.jpg IMG_2737.jpg IMG_2738.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How much off is your strike? Just a minute or two or more? And is the deviation the same at the full hour and the half hour?

The weights are not the culprits for this behavior.

Uhralt

3. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    You have to match the hour pipe and the cannon pinion together They are out of sink

4. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Buck, I do not understand from your explanation, what it is doing. Normally, they strike the hour on the hour and then again about two or three minutes after the hour. They also strike once on the half hour. Would you explain once again what it is doing on the hour?

5. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I came here expecting to see a YouTube vid of three or four comtoise’ all striking at the same time. Lol

6. Bucksctytt

Aug 5, 2019
    Male
    Chef
    USA - ITALY
    Country Flag:
    Thanks... the strike is off exactly 3 minutes on both the full hour and the half hour.

7. Bucksctytt

Aug 5, 2019
    Male
    Chef
    USA - ITALY
    Country Flag:
    Sorry to disappoint Brian though it would likely make for an interesting video.. of note the downstairs neighbors reaction every hour on the hour!
    T

8. Bucksctytt

Aug 5, 2019
    Male
    Chef
    USA - ITALY
    Country Flag:
    Yes of course. The clock chimes about three minutes AFTER the hour - repeats 2 minutes later then again once on the half hour - but with the same three minute delay.

9. Bucksctytt

Aug 5, 2019
    Male
    Chef
    USA - ITALY
    Country Flag:
    Thanks . that sounds like progress... I know which is the hour pipe... but not the cannon pinion. Could you explain or send a picture?
    Thanks
    T

10. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is the wheel next to the hour pipe. Remove the hour pipe far enough that it will turn without turning the cannon pinion. Then turn it counter clockwise one tooth and slide it back on.

11. Bucksctytt

Aug 5, 2019
    Male
    Chef
    USA - ITALY
    Country Flag:
    I
    moved the hour pipe.. perhaps a bit too much... I'm gonna let her run and see ( should have marked the darn wheel)
    BTW .. I notice that the hour pipe - the cannon pinion and the smaller pinion are all scratched to mark a particular tooth - if they were all aligned would that be the way to go?presumably that would set the hands to 12 ?

12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If there are original marks on both wheels, yes, they should be aligned. However, it is possible that a later repair person marked them incorrectly, so don't be disappointed if the marks don't solve the problem. The advice given above is good. You may have to find the right spot by trial and error.

Uhralt