Computer Utility + Waterbury Byron

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Richard H, Feb 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Registered User

Feb 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Have a Waterbury Byron clock that the timing adjustment is trashed. Broken gears, locked shaft and no pendulum. Decided to make it a "weight" governed clock. Clock runs fine just experimenting with a home made pendulum and timing it.

After the clock runs for say 5 hours, and I can measure the beat, I add or subtract weight as needed. Based on how fast or slow the clock is I adjust the beats to compensate. The key being for a known period of time, and a know BPM, I made a utility to tell what the beats should be for that weight. Kind of a backwards approach but it works.

Its a Excel Spreadsheet some may find useful.

Hope it helps someone...

Attached Files:

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You need to add length to the pendulum, not weight, to slow it down. The controlling verifiable is length from the flexing point of the suspension to the center of mass of the pendulum. Adding weight will slightly lower the center of mass, adding length will greatly lower the center of mass. Adding too much weight and you could just stall the clock or cause it to struggle to run. The correct adjustment is to add length to the stick or rod supporting the pendulum bob.

RC

3. Richard H

Richard H Registered User

Feb 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I understand. With the unknown length, and the unknown weight I experimented with what I thought "looked" to be appropriate. The pendulum I made is adjustable in length to change the beats per minute. The weight is not changed, just the length of the pendulum by the adjustment.

Based on the time trials, I now can lower or raise using the utility to "target" the rate.

Thank for your reply...