• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Compound Slide setup

NewBernWatchmaker

Jun 1, 2018
New Bern, NC
Country
what do y’all think? I know it isn’t ideal but I just can’t afford what people are asking for watchmaker size compound slides. I had the plate milled which indexes in the t-slot of the lathe and will put this bench lathe rest at a workable height.

8B4BCBE9-61B8-4A92-9E5C-302A45AEB3F7.jpeg 9F84FD00-FA8A-46D3-AEAE-1EF5C8898EAF.jpeg

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Clever!

So long as the angle and level between lathe bed and compound can be kept solid it should work. The problem that I can spot however is how the plate would flex under load. The loads for watchmaking use will still be very small but the weight of that compound must be at least the weight of the lathe. So moving that mass around may be enough to cause some flex in the plates. I Think the best way to figure our if it's a problem would be to make some test Cuts and measure. Do different DOCs and different feed rates to test different loads on the plate.

Regards
Karl

Reactions: NewBernWatchmaker