Comparing Watches to NIST Time

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by GeneJockey, Oct 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Male
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On a thread a while back, somebody was asking how do you compare your watch to NIST time, so you know how it's running. Here's a way to do it with a number of watches at the same time. You need a tablet and a phone with a camera.

On the tablet go to time.gov and leave that on the screen. Arrange your watches to be compared around the tablet, and take a picture.

IMG_2432.JPG
    NIST time shows 1:10:42

From the left
    1. 1:10:53 +11s
    2. 1:10:17 -25s
    3. 1:11:12 +30s
    4. 1:10:47 +5s
    5. 1:10:37 -5s
    So, these are all set within +/- 30 seconds from NIST. In a day, or a week - always keeping them wound - I can do the same thing again, and see how far they've changed. This saves you trying to switch your eyes quickly from the watch to the screen and back. You can take the picture, and figure the variance at your leisure.

Gregory Smith, Rob P. and viclip like this.
  2. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Male
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sharp eyes will see what seems to be a 3057 case, with a dial that belongs to a 571 movement from a few years before that case was released (second from left) Close! It's actually one of Star's replacement cases that they sold after Elgin stopped selling 571s. I picked it up last month on Ebay with a 572 in it, and used it to house a U-prefix 571 movement. The case itself seems to be NEW. All edges sharp, no scratches, all brushing perfect. But it didn't come with the right crown, so if anyone's got one let me know!