Coming to Australia???

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Omexa, Jul 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like I'd be safer taking a stroll through the south side of Chicago with a $50 bill hanging out of my pocket!

Frank

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
  4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ray,

Sounds as though you're trying to put people off 'Coming to Australia' . . .

Regards,

Graham

5. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Graham, just letting them know of the pleasures ahead for them. Regards Ray

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Why make me click on an msn click bait?

The most dangerous animal in Australia is the horse. Kills way more people than sharks snakes spiders ticks etc.

The most dangerous being in the whole world including Australia, is the mosquito.

7. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi roughbarked, you are dead right. Regards Ray

8. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Not really. I'm more fearful of human beiings, anywhere on the planet.

9. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    #10 Omexa, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Australia's Dangerous Creatures

Book by David Underhill

In a strange twist of fate my friend David was killed by his pet Cat; what happened was he was weeding his garden and the Cat playfully scratched him; he later died from complications caused by Melioidosis. “Melioidosis is a disease caused by germs that live in the soil. After rain the germs come to the surface and are found in mud and water on the ground. When it’s rainy and windy, the germs can get blown around in the air. "Very briefly, Mr Acting Deputy Speaker, I would like to advise members of the House of the passing of David Underhill. I know some of the members will remember David as the sessional Hansard sub-editor from 1995 until his rather serious illness in 2001. He had a long and distinguished career in journalism, both in Australia and overseas, and brought with him a great deal of editorial expertise which he used, might I add, to enhance the standard of our Parliamentary Record. Over a period of time he established a close working relationship with many of the officers of the Legislative Assembly.

While fighting the illness to which he finally succumbed, he kept in close contact with the department and was, from time to time, able to do editing on a consultancy basis. David is survived by his two children. He always enjoyed himself. You might remember him at the end-of-year functions. He was a connoisseur of Scotch whiskey, established a reputation as raconteur, he had a wealth of entertaining anecdotes and humorous stories about members’ contributions to debate in this House. He will be fondly remembered by former members and officers of the Legislative Assembly." Regards Ray

10. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    The instructions on a bag of potting mix. "Wear a mask when opening and using this product".
    It is teeming with greeblies which want to kill you and are only awaiting your first intake of breath.

11. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Melioidosis is in the NT soil all over the place. Regards Ray

12. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    As I found out, MAC or Mycobacterium Avium Complex is found in soils everywhere in the entire world. Its closest relatives are Leprosy and Tuberculosis. All you need to do is breathe it in.

13. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    In 2017 there have been 39 cases of melioidosis in the NT, and five deaths. It infects a person through open cuts and wounds, and it can be inhaled. It is a very big problem in Northern Australia.

14. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Yes but it is only one of a myriad of nasties. Luckily it is only prevalent in warmer climes.

15. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
  16. MartinM

MartinM Registered User
    Donor Sponsor

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst