musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I know this Columbus PL post could go into multiple existing Columbus threads
but this watch has really made me smile and has added a lot of sentimental value to my
watch collection so I created a new thread. This is only the second Columbus watch
that I have purchased and I bought this one primarily because of the NY Private Label from the
village of Sing Sing, NY. The movement(and regulator) and case are really
nice looking as well and that
pushed me over the edge to buy the watch.

It's a 15j Columbus model 2? circa 1886 Private Label from Sing Sing, NY from the jeweler
and store owner E. T. James.

E. T. James the jeweler/optician was very involved with the village and boating on the Hudson River.

e t james.png e t james American Gardening - Page 280 - Google Books Result 1896.png
e t james2 The Pleasantville Cook-book - Page 17 - Google Books Result 1894.png
e t james 1898.png

This is his house in Ossining(formally Sing Sing, NY).
e t james2 home built 1890.png

Sing Sing, NY was a town on the Hudson river(just north of New York City) where
the famous prison is located. Sing Sing is derived from the Sintsink native American tribe from
whom the land was purchased in 1685.

At the turn of the century the town of Sing Sing decided that the confusion between the products
that the town made vs the products that the prison made created confusion and they did not want
to be associated with the prison. They changed the name to Ossining in 1901 to avoid the stigma
from the prison(I believe E.T. James was involved with the name change). Many years later in 1970
the prison changed it's name from The Sing Sing Correctional facility to the Ossining Correctional
facility which I thought was Ironic(now the town needs to change it's name again :) ).

My personal interest in Sing Sing, NY comes from when I was a kid and found vintage glass bottles
from the 19th century that said Sing Sing, NY on them. I don't have too many old bottles from my
collecting days as a kid but I still have these Sing Sing soda bottles.
20210112_140025.jpg

I have only seen photographs of one other E T James PL and it was an 18s Hampden
serial number serial #409951 circa 1886 grade 60 15j. Greg Frauenhoff also let me know
about an Aurora that also was from this same jeweler but I have no photos or further
information about it, he says it's a partial movement.

I don't know if this is an original sidewinder but there are no extra case screw marks.
I assume it's a re cased hunter but you never know. The very blue morning glory hands
and double sunk dial make the dial stand out. Serial Number 76408

20210112_140316.jpg 20210112_140452.jpg

20210112_140759.jpg 20210112_140726.jpg

20210112_140637.jpg

Rob

Lowrider

Apr 19, 2019
Country
Hello Rob,
I just signed up awhile back and just became a member a couple weeks ago. I don’t know much about Columbus watches, but you have a very nice and interesting watch. For some reason ive been looking for a Columbus watch to buy. ive been collecting Illinois watches for some time and have a number of the Bunn specials and Sangamo’s like everyone else, but I’d like to get into other less collected watches. The Columbus watches are getting hard to find in good condition. I’ve been watching eBay and came close to buying a couple times but just haven’t found the one I want yet. Id love to see pictures of other Columbus watches.
Gerald

Reactions: musicguy

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
This is the tracking on it's way to me. It just happened to come from Columbus, OH

Untitledsssss.png

Rob

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
It's a 15j Columbus model 2? circa 1886
What do you think the grade is? I'm taking a stab at 33 1/2?

I think you will find that the 1886 dates is probably a bit out, if I was going to take a stab at it (which I am :)), I would say a Model 2 Grade 33 (very little difference between the Grade 33 and 33 1/2 so Rick might be correct) from somewhere around 1891 at a rough guess. Most of these unadjusted Columbus movements would normally have a single sunk dial so I would say a special order dial for the Retailer/Jeweler.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Great find, musicguy. I wish I could find a private label from Bronxville or Eastchester, NY as I lived there for 9 yeaers. Great history stuff as well, never knew the town was originally called Sing Sing even though I had friends that lived there.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Love the blob tops, at least that’s what we used to call those bottles. As one former bottle digging kid to another: big thumbs up! Also, at the last mart I went to, a dealer had an uncased fusee movement which was a PL from...Sing-Sing. -Cort

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Love the blob tops, at least that’s what we used to call those bottles.
Me too! and that's what we called them too, but the one on the left side is not a blob top
but a Hutchinson bottle. I don't know why we made that distinction.
a dealer had an uncased fusee movement which was a PL from...Sing-Sing.
I'd love to see that one.

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Thanks Greg!!!!

Rob

musicguy