Colonial of Zeeland Grandfather Clock Identification

mjar05089

Oct 2, 2015
Country
Greetings … I recently acquired a Colonial of Zeeland grandfather clock. Unfortunately, there is no key to open the cabinet, so I have no serial numbers. The only identifying marks are stamped on the back of the case … 9504 574 Made in U.S.A. I will post photographs as soon as I can, but anxious to get a head-start. I can open the top of the cabinet, so I believe the it has a Urgos movement. Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello,

The number you wrote does not correspond to any Colonial Manufacturing Co. numbers.

On the outside back of the case Colonial stamped a 4 digit model number.

Beginning in late 1960s Colonial put a tag on the inside door with a clock serial number. The 1st digits typically was the year that the clock was produced.

Andy Dervan

mjar05089

Oct 2, 2015
Country
Finally got the cabinet door open without any damage to the clock. Label states that it's a Colonial Molyneux with serial number 8300209. I was able to get some info off the movement … 81 / Hermle / Black Forest Clock / Amherst (?) / 451-058H (?) … Clock hasn't worked in a while, so I'll need to get it repaired. I do have 2 complete sets of interior works for this clock that came with it. Any more information would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry C.

Jun 16, 2009
Re: Colonial of Zeeland Grandfather Clock Identification model 9504

After Colonial's purchase of Molyneux, it took a while for the Molyneux clock numbers to be integrated/adapted to the Colonial model numbering system. Typically, each Colonial model number contained up to four digits, and was below the number 7000.

Company records from that time period are scarce. The few records that do exist are a bit hazy relative to the numbering of the early Molyneux collection of Colonial clocks.

I don't have a definitive reference to the "9504 574" you mentioned, but the numbers and pattern do correspond to Colonial's case marking system. "574" is the clock's cutting order number and "9504" is the clock's model number.

Though I can't tell you anything about model 9504 (this is the hazy part), Colonial's records include model 9506 being offered as part of a promotion to dealers in 1982. Given that, it seems reasonable to me that yours is indeed a Colonial model 9504!

Sorry I don't have more!

Terry C.

mjar05089

Oct 2, 2015
Country

Andy - Thanks for the early information. I did locate the serial number inside the case after finally unlocking it.

Terry - The 9504 574 number on the outside of the case was all I had for reference at the time. I was able to get the case open and found the serial number 8300209. Am I to assume that the serial number means this grandfather clock was made in 1983? Thanks!!!

Terry C.

Jun 16, 2009

8300209 would be Colonial's 209th clock completed in 1983, provided Colonial didn't run out of 82xxxxx numbers in late 1982 and blocks of serial numbers were not assigned..........Assigning blocks of numbers occurred when two or more different types of clocks were being completed simultaneously :)

Terry C.

mjar05089

Oct 2, 2015
Country

Terry - Thanks for the additional information. I will post photos of the replacement parts soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner