• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Colonial Manufacturing Grandmother Clock 1688

hgillesp08

New User
Dec 5, 2021
Country
Hello! I inherited this clock from my mother and know nothing about it. While I have seen some pictures of the CM Clock 1688 online, they do not have the flowers on the face that mine does. Just trying to find out more about it and when it might have been manufactured. It does not currently work (or I don't know how to make it work). Any suggestions on learning how to get it running? Thanks so much! It's been a lot of fun looking around the forums.

Heather

Clock1.JPG Clock2.JPG Clock3.JPG

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
It was probably manufactured in mid to later 1950's. There were probably several dial options; your painted dial was probably done at the factory rather than purchased. It appears to be missing its weights.

How tall is it? It appears to be a standard size grandfather clock. Grandmother clocks are typically less than 6 ft. tall.

Andy Dervan

hgillesp08

New User
Dec 5, 2021
Country
Thanks so much! The clock is just under 6' tall, it looks tall in the picture but is barely taller than me and I'm 5'9". Never noticed the weights since it has never worked since I've had it. Likely they were taken off for transit and never put back on. Too bad. I hope to get it working one day - it might not be a valuable clock but I love that it was my grandmother's, my mother's and now it's mine.

Thank you!

It was probably manufactured in mid to later 1950's. There were probably several dial options; your painted dial was probably done at the factory rather than purchased. It appears to be missing its weights.

How tall is it? It appears to be a standard size grandfather clock. Grandmother clocks are typically less than 6 ft. tall.

Andy Dervan

Reactions: Joker47 and PatH

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Take off the dial and post some movement photographs. It appears to have 3 winding arbor on dial that is a bit strange as Colonial Mfg. Co. typically purchased pullup German weight driven movements rather than crank wind movements. Are there really winding arbor in those dial openings?

Andy Dervan

hgillesp08

New User
Dec 5, 2021
Country
I wasn't sure how to take the dial off since it would appear I would have to detach the hands and that made me nervous. There are three winding arbors, based on what I could see. On the inside of the clock you can see three canister looking cogs directly behind each hole on the front of the clock. I have attached a closer look of the face of the clock and side views as well. Clearly I know NOTHING about clocks so was a bit nervous about getting too invasive. There is an emblem on the back of the clock that says "From the Treasure House of the Colonial Manufacturing Company- Zeeland, Mich."

Thank you again!!!

Take off the dial and post some movement photographs. It appears to have 3 winding arbor on dial that is a bit strange as Colonial Mfg. Co. typically purchased pullup German weight driven movements rather than crank wind movements. Are there really winding arbor in those dial openings?

Andy Dervan
Clock4.jpg Clock5.jpg Clock6.jpg Clock7.jpg

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Unfortunately, the Forum is running so slowly that I could not access the photographs.

The movement appears to spring driven and the springs are enclosed in those barrels and I can not see the escapement

I believe Colonial Mfg. Co. installed a shelf clock movement in this small case and the visible pendulum rod and bob is likely for looks and does nothing. Daneker Clock Co. did similar thing in one or two of its models.

You will need special equipment - a spring winder to safely remove and insert springs back into the barrels. I would not attempt anything without it.

Andy Dervan

hgillesp08

New User
Dec 5, 2021
Country
Thank you! It sounds like I need a professional to come in and take a look at this clock to see what needs to be done. I may put that on my "to do" list for the future. Until two days ago I had never opened up the clock so it's been fun taking a peek at what's behind the face and seeing how the clock opens up. Thanks so much for the great information you have provided me.

Heather

Unfortunately, the Forum is running so slowly that I could not access the photographs.

The movement appears to spring driven and the springs are enclosed in those barrels and I can not see the escapement

I believe Colonial Mfg. Co. installed a shelf clock movement in this small case and the visible pendulum rod and bob is likely for looks and does nothing. Daneker Clock Co. did similar thing in one or two of its models.

You will need special equipment - a spring winder to safely remove and insert springs back into the barrels. I would not attempt anything without it.

Andy Dervan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itjstwrx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller