• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Colonial Grandfather Clock Information

kcd1184

Nov 2, 2014
This grandfather clock was supposedly made at the Colonial Desk Co. by my grandfather, the rolltop desk also. Now I know from a previous thread that no clocks were made there, and no one is left that would know. My grandfather made many pieces of furniture for his home including a kitchen set, bedroom sets but all that is left is the rolltop and grandfather clock. I wonder if he ordered the clock and had it shipped, assembled or pieces. All the numbers and stickers that are on the clock are visible are in the pictures. Can the clock be identified with this information? I'm not very laptop smart so I hope the attachments work. Thanks

DSC03110.JPG DSC03111.JPG DSC03113.JPG DSC03114.JPG DSC03120.JPG DSC03121.JPG DSC03122.JPG DSC03125.JPG DSC03126.JPG DSC03127.JPG DSC03128.JPG DSC03129.JPG DSC03130.JPG DSC03131.JPG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
This grandfather clock was supposedly made at the Colonial Desk Co. by my grandfather, the rolltop desk also. Now I know from a previous thread that no clocks were made there, and no one is left that would know. My grandfather made many pieces of furniture for his home including a kitchen set, bedroom sets but all that is left is the rolltop and grandfather clock. I wonder if he ordered the clock and had it shipped, assembled or pieces. All the numbers and stickers that are on the clock are visible are in the pictures. Can the clock be identified with this information? I'm not very laptop smart so I hope the attachments work. Thanks

View attachment 625556 View attachment 625557 View attachment 625558 L View attachment 625559 View attachment 625560 View attachment 625561 View attachment 625562 View attachment 625563 View attachment 625564 View attachment 625565 View attachment 625566 View attachment 625567 View attachment 625568 View attachment 625569
Cannot comment about the clock though to me it
looks factory made.

Regarding the secretary. It’s not a roll front. It may be referred to as a slant front or drop front.

With all due respect to family legend, it appears to be a not uncommon piece of factory made “golden oak” furniture with applied carving & rudimentary paw feet. Still a nice piece of furniture.

RM

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
i have seen examples of that model 4 or 5 times. it is definitely factory. the model number "1182" is stenciled on the back. Andy dervan will be along soon to provide much more info than i can. a google search doesn't seem to yield much info other than a photo on pintrest.

there was a time-about 4 years ago- when i almost bought one of these. I absolutely love the design of the top of this clock. the rest of the cabinet is a little less exciting to me.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
The stenciling case number looks exactly what Colonial Mfg. Co. Zeeland, MI used.

I checked Colonial Mfg. Co. 1914/1915 catalog and case number was missing (skipped over); I suspect is was introduced a year or two earlier and dropped in 1914/15, because Colonial had a number of very similar basic oak case designs.

Colonial Mfg. Co. manufacture very nice wood furniture, but it typically used Mahogany not oak.

I posted some catalog images of Colonial Mfg. Co. furniture in an earlier post.

Andy Dervan

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
Country
Region
What is the brand of that movement? Colonial?

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
Country
Region
Is it made by colonial? I didn’t know they used colonial. I thought they used foreign movements.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Colonial Mfg. Co. purchased all its movements from various sources both domestic and overseas.

The clock has a simple time and strike movement. Colonial Mfg. Co. reportedly purchased some of its simpler movements from Gilbert Clock Co.

Andy Dervan

kcd1184

Nov 2, 2014
i have seen examples of that model 4 or 5 times. it is definitely factory. the model number "1182" is stenciled on the back. Andy dervan will be along soon to provide much more info than i can. a google search doesn't seem to yield much info other than a photo on pintrest.

there was a time-about 4 years ago- when i almost bought one of these. I absolutely love the design of the top of this clock. the rest of the cabinet is a little less exciting to me.
Could you tell me what the asking price was?

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
it was in an antique mall so there was probably a pretty good retail premium on it judging by the crazy prices that were asked for the 50+ other clocks in the booth. with that said, i think i remember a price tag of 1500-1800.00

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
The market for modern tall clocks has fallen off significantly. 1182 is a very basic case model with simple time and strike movement. People are giving away these clocks; people drop off clocks on porch of Northville Clock and Watch and call them back later and say I dropped it off, as I don't want it any more got it from my parents, etc.

I am not sure what your value question is, but the clock is probably worth $ 250. Sorry for the bad news.....

Andy Dervan

kcd1184

Nov 2, 2014
The market for modern tall clocks has fallen off significantly. 1182 is a very basic case model with simple time and strike movement. People are giving away these clocks; people drop off clocks on porch of Northville Clock and Watch and call them back later and say I dropped it off, as I don't want it any more got it from my parents, etc.

I am not sure what your value question is, but the clock is probably worth $ 250. Sorry for the bad news.....

Andy Dervan
Thanks for the comeback. There is family history involved and my son said he would like to have it some day. Just curious.

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
andy is right about the movement and case being on the more basic side. this is actually the reason i decided to pass in the example mentioned above. however, "according to hoyle" mission style clocks are very uncommon. if you were to find someone with an arts and crafts style house that was in the market for a hall clock, i think it could possibly fetch 5-600 to the right person. about the only other choice i can think of offhand would be the model that gustav stickley builds. the ones i have seen sell at auction are fairly recent with disposable modern movements. they generally sell in the neighborhood of 4 to 5k.