Colonial Calendar

Tim S

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2019
Country
I recently added to my collection with this Colonial wall clock. Has serial # 7320309. My question is about the red "third hand" which I assume is the day hand. If it were compared to a minute hand, It turns about 12 minutes every hour, and just keeps turning like that all day. Has an Urgos movement 21/39. Any comments, information and help would be appreciated

colonel4.jpg colonel1.jpg colonel2.jpg colonel3.jpg

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Red hand is the calendar movement hand., so it should make complete dial revolution in a month. If it is behaving strangely then there is a problem with calendar mechanism.

The clock probably dates from 1973 - 1974. I use the term probably as there is some confusion in that period compounded as Colonial assigned a block of numbers for a projected year's production. If it did not make the many clocks the company would continue that block the following year until it was completed. No Colonial Mfg Co. production records exist, but I learned about the compnay's practice from former Colonial Mfg. Co. employees.

Andy Dervan

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
If you take off the hands and the dial you might be able to see what's going on with the calendar mechanism. Post pictures here so we can be able to help more specifically. My initial suspicion is that for some reason a part of the mechanism that drives the minute hand comes in touch with the calendar mechanism and pushes it intermittently forward.

Uhralt

pmetro

New User
Feb 20, 2022
Country
I Have a similar movement, UW 21/25 Urgos . How do you set the calendar hand ? Does it move slowly during the day or does it ratchet to the next day during certain time period? When setting ot by hand it feels like it's on toothed wheel. Not much if any on how to set the red hand.

pmetro

New User
Feb 20, 2022
Country
Setting of the Urgos UW21/35 Calendar movement IMG_20220623_174237.jpg
Figured it out.... with the hands placed so that the calendar red hand is 1 day before current date and the time hands in no particular time, slowly rotate clockwise the minute hand. You may have to go well over 12 rotations. At some point the date hand will slowly move and then ratchet ahead to the next day. That point is midnight. Now set the hour and minute hand to 12:00.
Rotate the minute hand to the current time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VTC Duane
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner