Collets for Cowells Lathe?

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by NigelW, May 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    Male
    London and Kent
    Country Flag:
    #1 NigelW, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    I bought a new Cowells lathe some 15 years ago or more. It came with three sizes of B8 Schaublin collets which are held in place using a drawbar. I haven't used the lathe much but now I want to expand my range of collet sizes. Unfortunately these Schaublin collets no longer seem to be available and Cowells are advertising instead a different collet system which requires a £100+ adaptor.

My question is whether other types of watchmakers' 8mm collet, such as those sold under the Bergeon brand name, are compatible. Good collets are of course very expensive, so in the long run there may be not much cost differential but the Bergeon ones come in a much larger range of sizes and I prefer the idea of using collets which fit directly into the headstock rather then ones which require an adapter.

2. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    Male
    London and Kent
    Country Flag:
    Just had reply from Cowells. It seems I was looking at the wrong part of their website and the B8s and still available. The Bergeons will also fit.

3. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Geochemist (Consultant)
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    Cowells offered the CW lathe for the standard WW collets - as an alternative to their normal collets. Depending on your quality requirements there are different sources for WW/B8 collets at different levels of prices these days - ranging from cheapish Chinese ones to the quite expensive original Schaublin ones.