Collet Question

grasshopper

Sep 3, 2013
Wells, ME
Country
Region
I own a newer Sherline lathe and purchased a Sherline Collet set with sizes from 1/16”-5/16” which includes the draw bar and WW collet adapter to use with it. At my Club’s Mart I recently purchase five additional collets that I thought would fit my Sherline lathe, they do not. The diameter of these collets is slightly too large to fit into the adapter that came with the Sherline set. I measured the Sherline Collets at 7.95mm and the other’s at 8.03mm. Because of this small difference these collets will not completely enter the adapter and therefore cannot be screwed into the drawbar (second photo). If I try to install the collets without the adapter they are too long (last photo). Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to make these collets work in my Sherline lathe? I have included several pictures that I hope will help explain my situation. Thanks for the help.
Collet 4.jpg Collet 3.jpg Collet 2.jpg Collet 1.jpg

DennyI

NAWCC Member
Feb 10, 2007
Avoca, Iowa-USA
Country
Region
Hi grasshopper
You will need Sherline part# 1163 which will include a drawbar and collect adapter which will fit the larger 8mm collects like Boley etc.
Hope this helps
DennyI

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
I own a newer Sherline lathe and purchased a Sherline Collet set with sizes from 1/16”-5/16” which includes the draw bar and WW collet adapter to use with it. At my Club’s Mart I recently purchase five additional collets that I thought would fit my Sherline lathe, they do not. The diameter of these collets is slightly too large to fit into the adapter that came with the Sherline set. I measured the Sherline Collets at 7.95mm and the other’s at 8.03mm. Because of this small difference these collets will not completely enter the adapter and therefore cannot be screwed into the drawbar (second photo). If I try to install the collets without the adapter they are too long (last photo). Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to make these collets work in my Sherline lathe? I have included several pictures that I hope will help explain my situation. Thanks for the help.
View attachment 618710 View attachment 618711 View attachment 618712 View attachment 618713
Actually you only need to purchase Sherlines 8mm adaptor as referred to by Dennyl. This adaptor will work with both WW and 8mm collets.

Jerry Kieffer

grasshopper

Sep 3, 2013
Wells, ME
Country
Region
Thanks for the response. This sounds like an easy solution...but, I have both a Sherline Mill and Lathe. I am still a learner with both. As a learning project, do you think it would be very difficult for me to try to make the needed adapter and what type of material would be best to use to do so? Thanks for all your help.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Hi grasshopper
You will need Sherline part# 1163 which will include a drawbar and collect adapter which will fit the larger 8mm collects like Boley etc.
Hope this helps
DennyI
I need one too but I don’t see 1163 on their list. Do I need 11560 or 11563?

DennyI

NAWCC Member
Feb 10, 2007
Avoca, Iowa-USA
Country
Region
What I find from Sherline’s description, 11560 will accept what Sherline refers to as ww 8mm collets with a body diameter of .314” to .315”
Sherline collets have a body diameter of .312”-.313”
You can also call Sherline Tech Asistance at 1-760-727-5857, they are very willing to answer questions.
DennyI

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
I’ve made my own adapter. My collets are 10mm but you can make it for whatever size you need.
It’s steel. I tried to heat blue it with poor results.
I used my threading attachment to cut the 3/4-16 thread to screw on the spindle then machined the rest while it wad screwed on so that it runs true. It works very well.
61E907D8-A15E-48B0-B273-6037E9433EF6.jpeg F1C86295-EC62-4944-868C-171952A82BEC.jpeg 72765FBB-0F95-4E31-A6BC-7C3B1C09E0DB.jpeg

M.

Last edited:

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Thanks for the response. This sounds like an easy solution...but, I have both a Sherline Mill and Lathe. I am still a learner with both. As a learning project, do you think it would be very difficult for me to try to make the needed adapter and what type of material would be best to use to do so? Thanks for all your help.
Grasshopper
One of the advantages of adaptors besides accuracy, is the ability to construct what is needed for inexpensive oddball collets one may have. I make oddball adaptors all of the time.

In this case there is no need to make an adaptor, when the existing one only requires slight modification allowing it to use both WW and 8mm. However it can still be a project for both Lathe and mill that will pay great dividends down the road. All that needs to be done, is to bore the existing adaptor out to 8mm using the Lathe and boring bar. Again however, Sherline makes a tool post that holds 3/8" shank boring bars per the first photo but they are mostly to large for horological projects. The arrow in photo no.1 shows the hole for the boring bar.

A more appropriate size boring bar for horological work will have a 3/16" shank as seen in the sample link.

Micro-Quik Quick Change Boring Bars & Toolholders | 263651 | Travers Tool Co., Inc.

In order to conveniently use these bars, I drilled a 3/16" hole in a standard tool post with the lathe spindle per second photo arrow. In addition, I drilled two holes for set screws using the Mill again per the set screw arrows.

Or you can order the following adaptor

https://www.sherline.com/product/8-0mm-ww-collet-adapter/

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_720.jpeg fullsizeoutput_723.jpeg

Reactions: Old Rivers

grasshopper

Sep 3, 2013
Wells, ME
Country
Region
Interesting information about how to make/modify these adapters to do the job I need, but truthfully, even though I want to learn, it seems that Sherline's price ($23.25) for one of these adapters is very reasonable. But again thanks for all your help.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joeman77
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool