Collector question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by darticus, May 4, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darticus

darticus Registered User

Apr 14, 2012
    DELI OWNER
    SPARTA, NEW JERSEY
    Country Flag:
    Do collectors keep all their clocks running or is it safe to just let them run out and look nice? Ron

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it,s ok to let them stop and wind them up later, i do this. And no i dont keep all my clocks running, looking at them is nice as well.

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime rod sets for antique clocks - please inquire
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I keep my two larger mantel clocks running, but usually one is set to chime as opposed to both going off at the same time.

The smaller mantle clock is not used as it needs other parts. It ran down on it's own without any real problems.

4. 124Spider

124Spider Registered User

That's kind of up to each person, isn't it?

I keep all mine running, since I think a huge part of the charm of my clocks is that they're intricate, working, machines. And my wife seems to like all the pretty noises all these clocks make.

YMMV

5. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Donor Sponsor

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have several clocks here I simply don't wanna hear. I'm satisifed with looking at them showing the correct hour at the same time twice daily.

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It cost a lot of money and/or a lot of time to keep a large collection going.

I think that most collectors just run a few.

Willie X

7. Count Clockula

Count Clockula Registered User

Mar 6, 2012
    Other. But I'm often up late at night working on a
    Country Flag:
    #7 Count Clockula, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    Nothing wrong with just letting them run down. I like all of the clocks in my living area to be running with only one chiming or striking per room, and I cycle through the chimes between clocks occasionally. Silent electric models in bedrooms. I also tend to switch mantel and shelf clocks around once in a while. For me, it's nice to change things up a bit.

8. elphias

elphias Registered User

Dec 10, 2011
    A, A
    i keep all of mine running, every single one, from my buco baumann 1670 to my reproduction double dial german RA wall regulator and i will admit this, it is rather time consuming to do so, my cottage clocks need winding every 24 hours, and my baumann i put pully's on so that gets wound once a day as well, my others are 8 day clocks including my ansonia 8 day cottage clock, man is it alot of work, but worth it to have people admire them.

9. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I only keep 15 running now, used to keep about 50 going. Of course this doesn't count the ones I am working on for customers.

10. Tony10Clocks

Tony10Clocks Registered User
    Donor

Aug 10, 2010
    Northant's
    Country Flag:
    The majority of my clocks are 400 day, so it's not really a problem. My spring driven vienna i wind up every 2 weeks. But the watches and the 24 hour clocks i tend to leave them and look at, winding up occasionally

11. Oldfathertime

Oldfathertime Registered User

Sep 8, 2010
    Retired Farmer.
    S.West U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I keep about half mine going, mostly the chimers. I would say that any spring/key wind clock would be better left unwound or wound down if not used regularly as it will leave it with less strain in the springs and associated parts plus the windings of the springs are less likeley to stick together. Thinking logically.

12. Thyme

Thyme Registered Users

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    Not so much money, but there's a lot of time spent in winding them, if nothing else.

I currently have about thirty five and I keep them all running. (I call them my geriatric, mechanical children.) :rolleyes: They are all eight day strike clocks (with the exception of a three train, one day cuckoo); you can understand why I don't want to own any 30 hour clocks.

There is probably no harm in not running a clock for a while, but not indefinitely. I can cite two I had with related problems. One is a big Ansonia wall clock with a Westminster movement that has enormous springs in barrels. When I bought the clock it was a wreck that obviously hadn't been run in many decades. I restored everything except I did not want to deal with disassembling those mainsprings. I couldn't even find any replacements for them, so I decided to leave well enough alone. The clock ran fine until summer came, then in hot, humid weather it would stop sporadically. Since I had gone over the movement 'with a fine tooth comb' and knew there was no mechanical deficiency that could cause the problem, I decided to keep restarting it and keep running it. My hunch was correct - as soon as the temperature got colder the clock again ran without stopping at all. The reason I suspected: sticky lube in the mainspring which eventually loosened up with constant use and a difference in ambient temperature. It still is running without fail since last September.

The other example is that of a Junghans carriage clock, with Westminster chimes that belonged to my mother in law. She gave it to my wife shortly before she passed away so I know the clock's history. For about twenty years she would not let her husband touch it, so it was left non-running. I cleaned and checked everything and after a day or so the clock would stop chiming. It almost drove me crazy trying to figure it out. If I advanced the hands manually it would go into warning and chime every time without fail. After running a while it would go into warning but not chime. I tried greasing the cam and lever involved and it would work for one day and then stop chiming. Again, there was no point in tearing apart the movement, as everything looked perfect mechanically. Finally, after hours of scrutinizing it I decided the only other thing I could do would be to also grease the stop pin on the wheel for the warning. That was the cure - there were actually TWO things that needed to be greased!

The point I'm making is that when it comes to certain issues involving lubrication it is best to keep things running rather than let them sit.

13. darticus

darticus Registered User

Apr 14, 2012
    DELI OWNER
    SPARTA, NEW JERSEY
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all the info. Everyone has been very helpfull. Guess I'll try to keep things going. Ron

14. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't like to see a clock not running so I wind all mine except for an 18th C 30 hour longcase clock which I only wind at weekends as my wife isn't keen on the noise of the strike.

15. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I keep my chimmers running, and wind the 30 hour ones once a week usually Friday. The electric ones I switch out, my digital Pennwoods, Larsons, and Telechrons (cyclometers Numechrons..) I alternate monthly. Someone is humming, ticking, flipping, or chiming always around the house.

Russ

16. ClockFanatic

ClockFanatic Registered User

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Only run the clocks that have low level of ticking sound such as french mantels and 400 day clocks. Any that is giving high volume of tick-tock, just running for a few hours in a week.. Well just because all the clocks in my living room..:)

17. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Llangollen,North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I usually run up to a dozen at a time. A couple of them I run all the time and we count on them and they run the household. The others I alternate as the mood suits me. I try to never leave a clock just sitting with the springs under tension.

18. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I keep about 10 out of 50 running. Nothing runs in the bedroom, freaks out the wife. The only clocks I buy are what I consider to be beautiful pieces of furniture anyway, so just their presence add beauty to any room they are in.

19. clockman30

clockman30 Registered User

May 8, 2012
    You can let them run down close to the end, and then just stop the Pendulum.

That's it !

20. Thyme

Thyme Registered Users

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    We currently have 6 in our bedroom, all of which tick and strike the hour and 4 of them also strike the half hour. After a while you don't even notice them.

It's amazing what you can get used to. My wife has even gotten used to me - probably harder than getting used to the clocks... :rolleyes: