Collective responsibility marks of Swiss case makers

Barney Green

Jan 19, 2017
Diesel gate HQ
Country
Region
If you are ever looking for the maker of a platinum, gold, or silver watch case that features one of the six collective marks (hammerhead, hammer with stem, Geneva key, shield, FFBA, or crossbow), I recommend taking a look at David Boettcher's website. -> Swiss Poinçons de Maître

I have worked up the history of these responsibility marks because I have always encountered inconsistencies with the publicly available lists in the past. For example, names of companies that didn't exist at the time the case was made have often showed up. It turned out that all lists circulating on the web are based on a database extract of the Swiss Federal Office for Precious Metals Control from 2007. This list has the drawback, that only the last owner of the collective mark in or prior to 2007 was mentioned. However, the collective marks were transferred between different companies in case of company changes, takeovers or similar events, and in some cases they were even reassigned after deregistrations.

The newly elaborated list, now published by me on David's site, includes the complete time course over the owners of the marks from the first registration to 2018, with the first official usable publication based on 1934. However, some marks were in use as early as 1926 or slightly before, and this part of the history is the subject of current research. It will also be published in due course. However, since documentation of collective stamps from this period is not accessible, or simply does not exist, this part is to be considered separately, since it is not documented and thus rather speculative in nature. However, based on the systematics in the 1934 Initial list, some gaps can be attributed to the owner at that time with quite high probability.

I would be pleased if this new list could clear up some inconsistencies for you as well. If you have questions, additions or find errors, then I would be very pleased about hints of course. If you see any watch cases with numbers not yet mentionend in the lists or have questions for collective marks at watches dated prior to 1934 I would really enjoy seeing these here to be used as examples in my running reserach.

Barney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timemaestro
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre