Clock $ Collection of KWM bushings

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by John Arrowood, Aug 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Back when I was young and ambitious I bought some KWM bushings from LaRose. Don't expect that I will ever need or use them. Here's a list of the KWM numbers:
    L? (all markings have rubbed of the plastic packet,), L33, L38, L39, L50, L51, L53, L82, L88, L89
    KWM assortment 12000/V, and /VI
    All the KWM packages are marked with the dimensions of the bushing and which cutter to use for them
    and one mixed assortment LaRose stock number 049569

What are they worth?

There are at least a dozen in each plastic bag. I paid $2.50 for each KWM plastic bag. And the 12000 assortments have as few as 2 bushings in a compartment and may be mixed up from the original since they are in plastic boxes with dividers for each size and the boxes have been turned over many times.

2. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC, CLOCK REPAIRER
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think they have much value, here's why.......

From past experience whenever I've bought sets of any parts or widgets I've found that all the popular sizes have been used up, & I've mostly bought a bunch of "Dead Stock" dust collectors.

I'm not saying that's the case with your bushings, but that's the view of many repairers, be it clocks or cars.

You would achieve the highest price listing them all at the same time, but individually listed by size & noting the quantity of that size. This way buyers are buying refills for their kit & taking advantage of combined shipping.

The downside is.............This would be very time consuming.

3. MikeBY

MikeBY Registered User

Feb 5, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, the bushings you have in plastic packets are available from two suppliers for $9 for a packet of 20.
    the KWM assortment (100 pieces/ 10 per size) is $40~42 (hard brass).
    American made are somewhat less expensive.

I guess that's what they are worth. I've gone through the exercise of sorting out a box assortment of KWM bushings, and it was faster than I thought.
    I went through with a set of tweezers, and once they are all flat side down, it's pretty easy to spot the misplaced size.

What you have with that combination of bushing packets and sets is a fairly thorough set of bushings with a bushing height of 1.9mm. I wouldn't be surprised that it was recommended somewhere as the 'what to buy' or 'most common used' size ranges for clock repair. With that set, your likely to have what you need for most clocks you will run into that need a bushing unless it's a winding arbor or balance pivot.
    I'm not sure what's in the LaRose 049569 set, but it probably fills in some gaps..

That said, looking on ebay, you find packets for $10.99 shipped. There are others, if you search used listings that were on auction that go for $4-$6. Kits there too. Take a picture of the box, and then again upside down so people see what bushings are in the box, but I'd sort them if you are going to sell them that way to be sure it's representative of what's actually there. Three 100 piece assortments (used not complete) for $105 plus postage.

Contact a local club or group? Someone might take the whole lot off you if they are just getting started.