• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Coin Silver Case Question

Snide

Mar 6, 2001
Can anyone tell me the composition of a coin silver case? I believe it is 80% silver but I'm not certain.

Thanks,

Jim

Snide

Mar 6, 2001
Can anyone tell me the composition of a coin silver case? I believe it is 80% silver but I'm not certain.

Thanks,

Jim

Frank Menez

Deceased
Jul 11, 2003
Somersworth NH
Country
Region
To the best of my knowledge coin silver is 900/1000 Less than Sterling 925

Some French, Swiss & German silver is 800

Frank Menez

J

Jon Miller

I have several .800 silver swiss watches, and I have always heard them referred to as "coin silver."

John F

Sep 28, 2001
US silver coinage was typically 90% (.900 fine) silver, 10% (.100 fine) copper. Less than sterling (.925 silver/.075 copper), but greater than many European compositions of the day (.800 silver).

It's important to remember that in the late 19th century, the US was glutted with silver from the western mines, and loads of it was propped up by the US (hence all the Morgan Dollars that never circulated, among others). But that's another story (and for another board, no doubt!).

John

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Jim,

Here is a link to one of several previous discussions on the subject of coin silver. Officially at present, I believe the purity of coin silver is 90%, but it hasn't always been that way. You might want to check out several of the previous threads which covered this subject.

old ref::coin silver

Doug S.