cockoo music box binding

• Thread starter BILLIE RAY KIRKLAND
  • Start date
B

BILLIE RAY KIRKLAND

this cuckoo is driving me cuckoo.replaced the 18 tooth music box that has the little man playing some sort of insterment,when he retracts a lever drops into a hole on the drum gear thus stoping the music from playing,but it is binding so tight in the hole that the clock stops when the arm starts to release it.take it out of the case and the hole is a sloppy fit,looks like it has more than enough freedom to move with ease.thanks for your input.

B

BILLIE RAY KIRKLAND

this cuckoo is driving me cuckoo.replaced the 18 tooth music box that has the little man playing some sort of insterment,when he retracts a lever drops into a hole on the drum gear thus stoping the music from playing,but it is binding so tight in the hole that the clock stops when the arm starts to release it.take it out of the case and the hole is a sloppy fit,looks like it has more than enough freedom to move with ease.thanks for your input.

Denis O Jahn

NAWCC Member
Aug 28, 2000
Visalia, CA.
Country
Region
Billie Ray: Most of the arms that 'stop' that stop the music box have a little finger about half way towards the other end that interrupt the music box fan fly. THis finger has a short piece of tubing (on it) that actually hits the fly. This is what stops the music box. If you examin the lever you'll see as it engages the hole in the gear wheel, it is pulled foward, which forces the little tubing covered finger into the fly, stoping the music box. You might have to adjust the tubing on the finger in or out just a smige. When the MB is tripped the lever pops out of the hole and draws back just a little so the lever dosen't fall back into the hole. THere should be another piece on the MB trip lever that interrupts the fly while the movement cucoos. You could call this the 'warning' phase of the MB.
Hope this helps, just remember you only need to be a little smarter than the plastic bird to work on these things.:>

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
By the way the little man is the "Zither" player which was an old German instument.

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The wire that interrupts the fly during the cuckoo run is the known by some as the "whip".

Tom

B

BILLIE RAY KIRKLAND

thanks to all for your help and information.Denis the tubing is missing,where can i find tubing this small?
billie ray

Denis O Jahn

NAWCC Member
Aug 28, 2000
Visalia, CA.
Country
Region
Billie Ray: I think I got mine from a Dr. friend. But you might try a hobby store or crafts store. Short of those having any, send me your address, off board, and I'll send you a snip or two.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I use insulation off #14 or 16 wire. Which ever size is a tight fit. Many of the older clocks do not have that piece, and use the bare metal to stop the fan. Harold

D

Doug

Hi Billie Ray,

email me your address and I'll send you a foot of it and you will have some on hand for the future.

email osbornedj@richnet.net

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeSlari
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre