Coat of Arms Identification

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I've tried to identify these coat of arms, emblazoned on a couple of books I have. I have not had any success. Any help would be appreciated. The two books are French.

IMG_5288_(1600_x_1200).jpg IMG_5292_(1600_x_1200).jpg

Thanks, Ralph

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
I don't think they're English, Ralph, which means that my copy of Burke's Armory is of no help.

They both have a French look to me - the second has a bunch of grapes (?) in the lower segment and nutmegs (?) in the upper segments. The lean lions, crown and decoration of the base all have a certain French look - I'm pretty sure that is a Duke's crown .

The first has symbols which I can't make out at all, but it also has four crowned "H"s in the corners which might suggest Henri Duc d'Orleans ... depending on the date of the books. Are there any clues inside the covers?

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
MartyR,

I'm sure they are French heraldry. They are both 18th century French books.

I did determine that the mushroom looking symbols are hammers and indicate a 'smith'. Clocksmith in this case.

At his site, http://www.heraldica.org/topics/france/ , I found this on the coronet, indicates a Marquis?

"marquis (marquis): a coronet of alternating acanthus leaves and groups of three pearls in trefoil (or two pearls side by side in some versions)."

Thanks for taking a look,

Ralph

Last edited:

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
"marquis (marquis): a coronet of alternating acanthus leaves and groups of three pearls in trefoil (or two pearls side by side in some versions)."
I didn't know that :whistle: a duke is three acanthuis leaves, it seems. I still think it's worth hunting for a French marquis whose name begins with "H".

What are the books, Ralph? And what date are they?

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
MartyR,

The 'H' might be for Horloger or Horlogerie.

The first COA is on the cover of Lepaute's, Traité d'horlogerie, 1755.

The second COA is on the cover of Découvertes principes de astronomie, Trottier 1784

Thanks for your efforts, Ralph

Last edited:

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
The 'H' might be for Horloger or Horlogerie.
It's difficult to know, given my lack of knowledge of the traditions and usage of French heraldry ... but if these were English crests then definitel not! A letter surmounted by a crown would only indicate the holder of the rank, so the "H" would definitely be the marquis who owned the coat of arms.

So you I think need to identify the marquis whose name began with H and who had a technical interest in horolgy and astronomy. Shouldn't be too difficult :rolleyes: Seriously, why not contact Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie in Paris, give them the dates and titles of the books and the information "Marquis H----" and see what they come up with.

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
The second one might be De Cuille.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Smudgy, how did you come up with that?

Thanks, Ralph

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
I read a lot of history. De Cuille used a single chevron on a black field. Around the time of Henry taking the English throne the different De Cuilles started adding to the design to distinguish between the different people, especially when on different sides in a conflict. The first one added three dog heads (I don't remember what kind of dog it was). The next one added three roses. The shield on you book has the single chevron, a bunch of grapes, and two of something else. I didn't answer right away because the book is red instead of black making the field red. I don't know how much that matters as I'm not really learned in heraldry at all, I just collected some information casually from the reading I do, but I figured I'd let you know of the possibility as somewhere to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morbier
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent