Clueless with a Waltham Maximus with a 14k hex Solidarity case

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Giftedbrenda, Mar 3, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Giftedbrenda

Giftedbrenda Registered User

Mar 3, 2012
    Hi - looking for any information (year, etc.) that anyone is willing to provide about this Waltham Maximus wrist watch in a 14K Solidarity hex casing. I've attached a picture. The mechanism just says Waltham Maximus along with the serial number on it. I entered the serial number in the database and it said that it is a model L-10, size L10, Material P (?), Balance Brequet Spring, Style Htg.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,

Brenda

Attached Files:

2. Giftedbrenda

Mar 3, 2012
    Here's another photo... wm 7036.jpg

3. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    The case dates from the early to mid 1920s. I cannot read the early part of the serial number on the movement, do I cannot tell you more.

Don

4. Giftedbrenda

Mar 3, 2012
    The serial number is 19047036. The number on the Solidarity case is 390967. It says 14K with the 14K - 583/1000 - FINE engraved.

5. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These 10-ligne Maximus movements are wonderful watches. Yours is in a very nice (probably original) case and it looks like it may have an original period mesh band as well. Solidarity was one of the better case companies and the quality is appropriate to this top-qualtiy movement. I would say this watch is probably from the mid to late 'teens.

6. Giftedbrenda

Mar 3, 2012
    Thank you for your help!

7. Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    The movement dates from 1914. Many of these movements were originally made for ladies pendant watches. Many stayed in the factory unsold for as long as a decade and were eventually sold to wholesalers who cased them in wristwatch cases for men. During the late 1910s some were factory cased. We have had a lot of discussion about this lately, but I shall repeat it. A man wearing a wristwatch in the US before WWI was only slightly more acceptable than wearing a dress. It was more accepted in the Europe. During WWI, the soldiers in the trenches learned that a wristwatch was more convenient and safer fro snipers. They came home with safety razors and wristwatches. Even then, it was only acceptable for veterans and those involved in sports. Read the story in the middle of the page on Judge Landis at http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry/short-history-wristwatch

So, we can guess that your watch is from the mid 1910s to mid 1920s. I vote for the latter, Jerry votes earlier. I would trust Jerry more on this subject.

Don

8. Watchfixer

Watchfixer Registered User

Jun 11, 2011
    TV repair tech.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is this movement size 0?

Cheers, Watchfixer

9. Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    I had missed your statement of 10L for size before.

"Sizes" are an English (Lancashire Gauges) system that we used in the US. This movement is 10 Lignes, which is a French and Swiss size unit. 10 Lignes is 0.888 inches or 22.56 mm. It is a bit smaller than a 9/0 size. Waltham also made a 10 1/2 line movement. I had not known this.

So we are talking about a ladies wristwatch here. So it probably did come out shortly after the movement was made, approximately 1914. Ladies wristwatches were totally acceptable at this time.

I have to learn to read more carefully.

Don

10. Giftedbrenda

Mar 3, 2012
    Yes - definitely a ladies wristwatch. My fiance remembers his great-grandmother wearing it. I entered the serial number on this site and got the information about the 10L. It's a really neat watch with the detailed mesh.

I appreciate all of your help! I'm fascinated by the watch and I feel like I'm learning so much.

Brenda