• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Club tooth escape wheel

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
OK, this is to all those "helpers" out there.

Several years ago I obtained the remanents of an "Ithaca, Shelf Cottage #9 (new)". It is all restored now with a new base, finials, dial and other work.

The Welch club tooth escape wheel has never given satisfactory service-having had several mangled teeth. Efforts to hand repair and use the wheel have proven fruitless. I will run for weeks then start refusing to run for more than a little while. It stops in the same general area of the wheel.

Would a rounding up tool reveal the bad teeth? Will I have to find someone to make a new wheel? Use of standard machine tools and micrometer/calipers don't suffice.

I need some ideas on this.

Editor's Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files
Ithaca1
Ithaca2

Bob Reichel

Edited to include PDF flies on different webspace

[This message was edited by Phil Schilke on October 03, 2003 at 9:06.]

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
OK, this is to all those "helpers" out there.

Several years ago I obtained the remanents of an "Ithaca, Shelf Cottage #9 (new)". It is all restored now with a new base, finials, dial and other work.

The Welch club tooth escape wheel has never given satisfactory service-having had several mangled teeth. Efforts to hand repair and use the wheel have proven fruitless. I will run for weeks then start refusing to run for more than a little while. It stops in the same general area of the wheel.

Would a rounding up tool reveal the bad teeth? Will I have to find someone to make a new wheel? Use of standard machine tools and micrometer/calipers don't suffice.

I need some ideas on this.

Editor's Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files
Ithaca1
Ithaca2

Bob Reichel

Edited to include PDF flies on different webspace

[This message was edited by Phil Schilke on October 03, 2003 at 9:06.]

J

jkatzin

Hi Bob,

As far as I can see, you have no properly formed teeth left on your escape wheel. They are all mangled!! If you can measure the diameter of the wheel, I might have one that I can loan to Bill Curley to copy.

Jim Katzin
NAWCC Life Member
AWI Life Member

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
Oh, yes-I was aware of the "adjustments !! " made to the escapewheel while I was restoring. But, like some, I was lulled to sleep because it would run for a long period, then start hanging up on one tooth.
Maybe someone out there has a derelict movement with a satisfactory club tooth wheel.
The measurements are:
34.01mm / 34.06mm
1.3385" / 1.3410" diameter

Bob Reichel

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
Richard: Can I please hold you in reserve. A clock with right wheel came up on Ebay and I have a good photo. My Son-In-Law is enhancing it on the computer and we will do the same to my wheel. I'm beginning to feel that dressing will do the job.

Bob Reichel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyghost
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-