Cloister Clock

John Teeter

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Jan 31, 2001
I have aquired a Cloister clock Corp. clock, model 2000, No.54 23. It is about 10 1/2" high without the dome and has the domed style bob. It is in running condition but has a bent suspension spring and I would like to replace it. Could someone tell me correct spring thickness for this clock and where I might be able to purchase one? I would also like to know how the spring is attached at the bottom of the adjustment piece.
I would appriciate any help in this matter.
John

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi,John and wellcome far away from wood mvmt.clocks.I´d guess "Cloister Clock Corp" was the retailer of a probably german manufactured torsionclock.To chose the correct SS we need a sharp pic especialy from the back plate,if possible without the suspension spring guard to determine the actual manufacturer of Your clock and the SS of correct thickness You need.Let´s see what You´ve got!
Burkhard

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
I have aquired a Cloister clock Corp. clock, model 2000, No.54 23. It is about 10 1/2" high without the dome and has the domed style bob. It is in running condition but has a bent suspension spring and I would like to replace it. Could someone tell me correct spring thickness for this clock and where I might be able to purchase one? I would also like to know how the spring is attached at the bottom of the adjustment piece.
I would appriciate any help in this matter.
John
John, thanks for posting. The model 2000 uses the 7-inch long Horolovar 0.0045 inch thick spring, you can purchase directly from Horolovar or from Timesavers or Merritts, however be sure you are buying the authentic spring. NOTE that the longer springs from Timesavers or Merritts only come with the assortments of 12; however you can buy them individually from Horolovar.

The spring is held in the bottom block/adjustment assembly, which has a threaded tube to which the pendulum hook is screwed to the bottom and a small cap with hole for the suspension spring to pass is screwed to the top.

Unscrew the pendulum hook, and inside that is a small round cylinder with a cone-shaped upper end, that is slotted to hold the bottom end of the suspension spring. To install the spring, you will need to thread the new one through the top end of the tube, then through the slide wire that adjusts the time, and through the bottom. Place the end of the wire in the slot in the cylinder, then put it in place in the bottom of the tube. Screw the pendulum hook back in place and tighten, that causes the cone end of the cylinder to be compressed in a corresponding cone in the bottom of the tube to hold the spring in place. You can then install the contact pin and upper block to bring the assembly to the correct length. You may have to slightly thin the suspension spring to bring the clock to time.

Burkhard, the Cloister Clock Co. is a successor to Tiffany Never-Wind company, and they made battery electric powered torsion clocks in Buffalo, New York in the early 1920's. George Steele Tiffany was the inventor and company owner; these clocks were originally patented in 1904 and manufactured by the Tiffany Electric Company in New York City. The first clocks had a double contact design, the one John has inquired about is a single contact model that was first introduced about 1908. The business moved to Buffalo, NY about 1912, changing the name to Tiffany Never-Wind, and had operations for a time in both cities. The later name change to Cloister Clock Co. was the result of a lawsuit by Tiffany & Co. of New York protesting the use of the Tiffany name as a trademark. Tiffany & Co. won so the company became the Cloister Clock Co. Around 1927 the business was purchased by other investors and became the National Magnetic Clock Co. but went out of business in 1929.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
thanks,John ,for the correction:something special american I couldn´t know.I´ve seen and heard of Tiffany Never Winds,but that other name never showed up in my books!
Burkhard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller