• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Clocks of Windsor Castle

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
wow... thx for sharing that. i'm so jealous!

Reactions: Isaac

LCampbell

Jul 16, 2020
Country
Talk about a plum job. I mean, I'd rather be the guy who keeps the big clocks going, but still, not bad. Where do you go, career-wise, after that? Retirement?

How do you remember where 400 clocks are? I have 40 and I "find" new ones all the time I've forgotten I had.

Reactions: Calvin H. Huynh

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
We were there as tourists in 2008. I remember the Vulliamy examples, I find his clocks very tasteful. Plenty of clocks. But also, some rooms had typical 19th c. French mantel clocks, the kind that can be obtained by more average clock enthusiasts such as you and I. Not every clock there was worth a fortune.
Me personally I'm not jealous at all. Those clocks are exactly where they're supposed to be. I would be uncomfortable to have some of those in our house. They are too rich for me! I've been in my profession for 23 years and I have 15 or so more years to go, unless something happens unforeseen (which is usually how life works).

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Great article and reminds me it's tomorrow. I'm sure he'll prefer doing it in spring to autumn.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
A lot of the clocks around the estate will be pretty standard clock used to regulate the business of the estate. I have a dial clock signed by Willoughby who provided quite a few dial clocks now in the royal collection.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
If anyone's wondering what sort of qualifications are needed for this job, the chap in the article, Fjodor van den Broek, was trained at West Dean College in Sussex.

Reactions: D.th.munroe

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Like any collection of clocks in any house not all of them are grand.

Most of the clocks on the Windsor estate are more humble domestic clocks in offices and below stairs. When researching this chap on the clock I put together today I found a number of his in the royal collection.

20201025_162344.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
yes... but theirs are probably in mint condition and have been babied all their lives.

and... you have some great clocks! :)

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The night watchman's clock was a standard design, I have seen maybe 3 others for sale over the last 10 or so years. There was a really nice one for sale at an auction a few years ago. Although it was not cheap, it was in very nice condition and it wasn't terribly expensive. One of my few regrets I've had in my clock collecting was not bidding on that clock. The other 2 I've seen for sale were not in as good condition as the example I'm referring too, it had the patina and everything going for it. :(

126: English Mahogany Fusee Bracket Clock - Jun 02, 2012 | Fontaine's Auction Gallery in MA
Here is a link, I've found it if I am permitted to post it here. If not please remove. If anyone here has the clock and wants to sell it, I would be interested. I guess I already gushed about it and in so doing I have tipped my hand. But I think it's a great looking timepiece. Oh well, sometimes our "regrets" keep our enthusiasm going.

Last edited:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
If you really wish to explore the UK Royal Collection, see this website:

About the Collection

Specifically start with:

Explore the Royal Collection Online

You can also Google specific residences, i.e., Buckingham Palace and then search clocks.

I've done that in the past. Some incredible stuff. Some rather mundane work a day stuff. A lot of dial clocks. Even some American clocks like a ST sleigh front and even a black mantle!

RM

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
If you really wish to explore the UK Royal Collection, see this website:

About the Collection

Specifically start with:

Explore the Royal Collection Online

You can also Google specific residences, i.e., Buckingham Palace and then search clocks.

I've done that in the past. Some incredible stuff. Some rather mundane work a day stuff. A lot of dial clocks. Even some American clocks like a ST sleigh front and even a black mantle!

RM
I've only searched specific makers before rather than all clocks.

It's very interesting, they seem to have kept Frodsham going single handedly.

Another thing of interest to me is the number of clocks signed Hanson, which is the name written inside the case of my Willoughby, I assume when it must have had a case repair while being serviced by Hanson.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I've only searched specific makers before rather than all clocks.

It's very interesting, they seem to have kept Frodsham going single handedly.

Another thing of interest to me is the number of clocks signed Hanson, which is the name written inside the case of my Willoughby, I assume when it must have had a case repair while being serviced by Hanson.
That is interesting.

You can search specific makers, too.

Like any big firm, lots of time keepers needed. I assume the palaces, especially when the sovereign was present, were expected to run, well, like clock work. Tight schedules were and are probably adhered to.

RM

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
yes I have searched before for specific makers, it's how I found the Willoughbys. I never thought to look for Hanson.

wspohn

Feb 3, 2020
www.rhodo.citymax.com
Country
Region
Great article.

I like this:

"People are still amazed that at Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace there is a small time zone in the kitchens, where the clocks are always five minutes fast.

"This is so that the food arrives on time... it's a constant reminder that this is important."

I may declare my kitchen to be a separate time zone, but I might have to opt for more than a 5 minute shift if I want to be on time with dinner!

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
do we think that most of these clocks were gifts over time? or that the duke and duchess monitored eBay, craigslist and auctions?

Reactions: PatH

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Which Duke and Duchess did you have in mind?

I think it is a mix, the office types all bought. the rest a mix, some gifts, some bought.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
do we think that most of these clocks were gifts over time? or that the duke and duchess monitored eBay, craigslist and auctions?
I would suppose the finer clocks were purchased or commissioned or gifted to the sovereign or a member of the royal family?

There was a time when fine clocks and clock work automata were very much a sign of wealth and refinement and would be very much desired by the noble and priviledged.

See my personal favorite:

Jean Antoine Lépine (1720-1814) - Mantel Clock

I know there is a video of this in action somewhere. Can't find it.

Here's the one owned by French nobility, including Marie Antoinette.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2019/collection-ribes-pf1930/lot.10.html

Unlike Marie, the clock kept it's head.

Thought this one was interesting because a rather detailed description and pix of the clock are provided.

Cost 1,452,500 Euros!

RM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmeywvu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller