Clocks in movies....

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mr. Time, Jan 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Mr. Time, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong section of the forum. I've searched the forum and really didn't find anything associated with my title.

Anyway I know that there are numerous movies, tv show's, etc. that have shown a street clock, building clock, etc. but recently while I was flipping through channels on tv, I happen to catch a scene of a clock from a movie that had just started.

The movie is Roadhouse (really never seen the whole movie from beginning to end, just parts of it here and there) and it shows a Seth Thomas street clock with lights.

Thought it was pretty cool since I like checking out street clocks, building clocks, etc.

Click on the youtube site and move up to 00.14 seconds and you can see the clock.

Again, my apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum so moderators if it is please move it to the correct area.

Thanks.

P.S. Anyone else know of a movie scene with a clock?.....post it here in this thread!

EDIT: The other popular movie concerning a clock is the first Back to the Future movie.

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    There is a long running thread on your topic ... It's here somewhere. I don't think it included the street clock scene you mention though.
    Willie X

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    If you are interested, check out the following thread. It' not specific to movies, but it's along the same lines.

Pictures of clocks back in their day.

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

i wonder why more people don’t use the mb search? searching for ‘movies’ brings up several pre-existing threads... check ‘em out!

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    TBF the current search is not really inuitive, but it does offer more features than the last one.

6. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Not sure which group of posts to put this: I was channel surfing the other day and came across the Cary Grant and others movie "Arsenic and Old Lace" and there was what looked to me like a very nice jeweler's regulator next to a door in one scene.

7. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

arsenic_and_old_lace.png.jpeg Arsenic-Old-Lace-2.jpg

PatH likes this.
  8. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What I find amusing is often the sound produced by a clock shown in TV programmes can't have been made by that clock.

novicetimekeeper likes this.
  9. G J M

G J M Registered User

Mar 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It may well be because the most I see in movies and on TV aren't even running so the sound effects folks are adding it. :)

10. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movie "High Noon" has a number of clocks in various places. Usually the pendulums are shown swing way too wide, especially a little French clock, almost as if the clocks didn't actually run but were set and someone just gave the pendulum a slap before the camera take.

RC

11. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "inuitive" = "eskimo-like"?:D

12. The Treasured Clock

The Treasured Clock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Franklin, Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is another thread, Old Clocks in Movies/Erronious Props
    Jonathan Lee Jones

13. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a Canadian produced TV show called Murdoch Mysteries. It's a bit corny but it depicts life in Toronto in the late 1800s. There are usually old clocks in every espisode, most are not working and sometimes you will hear them strike the hour when the hands clearly show the half hour. But there are a couple that are operating correctly, some are nice. Funny, I likely wouldn't have even noticed them prior to my taking up this hobby.
    Don

14. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I blame American spell checkers :)