Clocks for donation

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by tal1987, Sep 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tal1987

tal1987 Newbie

Jul 25, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

First, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong location.

We have a series of clocks that have been in storage for a while. They are all boxed up except for a grandfather. We want to give these away, donate etc. to a person (s) or groups who can appreciate them and perhaps pass them on.

I previously received advice on them in this post:

Looking to ID these clocks

We are in southern california. Please reply if you have any advice. Thank you.

2. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My suggestion is to contact a local chapter of this forum. There are several NAWCC chapters listed for the southern California area. Wish I lived close. I'd love to relieve you of all of them. You can find the link in the Sticky Threads section that is above the normal threads section of this General Clock Discussion forum.

3. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not wanting to take this away from enhancing the NAWCC, but if you have a personal charity you contribute to, you could locate a local auctioneer, and donate the proceeds, if the auction company knows of your intent, they may make you a deal on fees.

5. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tracerjack and Larry have each provided good suggestions.

Your local chapter(s) (I would discuss with more than one chapter) could have members who work for the local children's hospital or know of a school or church or a similar organization that might appreciate the clocks as decorative and learning objects (as opposed to functional objects). In addition, the local membership could further your generous intention by overhauling the clocks, if needed, for free.

The idea of partnering with a local auction house, with the proceeds going to a charity of your choice, I suspect would bring more $$ to the charity as opposed to donating them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, where they would probably receive on 25 cents on the dollar as opposed to the auction idea. Nevertheless, Goodwill and Salvation Army are possibilities.

Let us know what you decide and the outcome of your decision!

Regards.

6. tal1987

tal1987 Newbie

Jul 25, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the comments. I think the first thing I'll do is contact the local chapter.

7. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    List them on Craigslist with a set price and/or take offers.

Put the money in your family's bank account OR donate it.

8. The Treasured Clock

The Treasured Clock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Franklin, Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    tal1987,
    This may be a good time to suggest here at this point. Tom Wilcox has posted in his weekly newsletter about schools removing analog clocks from the schools. A replacement donation might be in order to one of the local schools. This will advance our hobby and organization. I suggest that you read his newsletter. You can access it at the beginning of message board before you read or post any of the threads. This might be enlightening as Tom his writing a curriculum on teaching young children how to tell time on an analog clock. This is a skill that children and even teens do not have these days. You may, first of all, join the NAWCC. There is an electronic, I believe, on the website or give them a call. You can find the number after you click the contact us tab at the upper right corner of the home page.
    Jonathan Lee Jones