Clocks Displayed

Brian Smith

NAWCC Member
Oct 16, 2009
Manassas, VA
Country
Region
Just curious. Not counting the clocks that are stored in the basement, I have 35 clocks displayed in my home. I know I can't be the most insane one here, so fess-up and reveal the number of clocks you have displayed !!!!

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
I'm currently at 22. As soon as I can get the wife to take down some pictures and clean off some shelves :), I could be up to 30.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have 32 at present, all in the sitting room of a small house, including 3 long case clocks and a grandmother size clock. Too many really, but some are quite small and anyway I like the sound of them ticking, striking and/or chiming.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm at 25. Most do not run all the time, but about 12 do.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
We live in a small two bed bungalow. We have 4 longcase, all usually ticking but only the eight day is allowed to strike. We are currently considering another longcase. We also have two carriage clocks (one timepiece the other strikes and chimes) and one wallclock which is a single fusee so again just ticks. The ticking is very noticeable but different in each room which is a really easy thing to live with I find, particularly the longcase clocks.

There are also a dozen pocket watches but none of those are running unless I wind one up to show a visitor.

Also silent are the 4 brass dials that are framed and hung on the walls representing other examples of work by the makers of the various longcases.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Well not counting the alarm clocks, or watches, but including whats on display in the clock room, about 275, with several more to be put up.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
I have my clocks distributed all over my house except the loo and they total around 85.
Burkhard

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
There are at least 20 clocks right now, although it has been planned to sell some of these off. I like having at least one running clock in each room. A few photos to spice up the thread.

Firs photo is the display table with some high-end Celebrate brand mantel clocks. None of these are in working condition as they have not been serviced in over 30 years. I aspire to figure out how to service them - until then, they are done up cosmetically so they look nicer. The clocks have since been moved to the other table.

Second photo shows the Celebrate No. 825 relocated in a shelf. This maligned clock is out for eventual overhaul as a local repairer tried lubing it with WD-40. It ran for about a year then seized up again.
The hands were removed as it also requires a new hand washer. As it stands, the nostrum changes. Time is no longer relative as it is irrelevant.

Third photo shows two of the upright mantel clocks. The Junghans with its large round dial is currently out for periodic adjustments while the 3/4 Westminster chime clock is ticking away.

Attachments

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
90 odd displayed around the house, 20 or so of which I have running at any one time.

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
Forty six (including 4 tallcase clocks) running and chiming (when I remember to make the rounds and wind them). An untold number tucked away, awaiting their turn in the sun. If my wife was a little more tolerant, I would probably really go crazy.
Ray Rice, in Autumnal Rifton

beechleaf

Apr 9, 2013
Utah
Country
Region
I have a total of 52 (8 floor) (21 wall) and (23 mantels). All but three chime and since my better half and I both have ( OCD ) ( CDO for those of us that have to have it in order ) all of them are running and are with in one minute of each other. We just finished a portfolio book on all of them which includes year, model and history of the company. With photo's of each clock and movement. When and where it was purchased by us, and previous owner if they know. I have them all in my photo album and I going to make a second album with just movements here soon. Beechleaf

Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member
Aug 16, 2012
Bay Area, California
Country
Region
It seems like about 18 to 25. It varies a bit depending on what i am working on. Mostly wall clocks and there is only so much wall space :excited:

Walt

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I currently have 41 clocks that I run that are not customer clocks, and need winding either daily or weekly. About 8 more that are electric, self winding clocks.

rickyn

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 7, 2009
Binghamton,NY
Country
Region
I have clocks displayed all over my house. 5 grandfathers about 15 time clocks IBM Bundys, and others. I use 2 dey time clocks as side tables, shelves all around high in the rooms full of 400 day clocks. The garage is also full. Thank God for a anderstanding wife. Rickyn

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
I have 15 that are running, most are mantel clocks so enough of those for now. Would now like some wall clocks to add to my collection. I have a two-story home and the rule is no striking or chiming clocks upstairs.

Ron

PaPa_Clock

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2014
Michigan
Country
Region
I currently have 99 that are on display and functional plus another 12 or so in the waiting repair room. If they don't work I don't display them.

clock1.jpg clock2.jpg clock3.jpg clock4.jpg clock5.jpg clock6.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
looks great,Your home and Your workshop PaPaClock!
Burkhard

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm curious, PC. How did you convert your kitchen clocks to wall clocks? Drill a hole, mount a fixture, ... what?

PaPa_Clock

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2014
Michigan
Country
Region
I'm curious, PC. How did you convert your kitchen clocks to wall clocks? Drill a hole, mount a fixture, ... what?
Some of them already had holes in the back from years ago. The others I drilled a small hole in the top center of the backboard and mounted a picture hanger D-ring. Not visible and not too invasive.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
OK. Thanks ;)

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
About 50, eight of which are Tall Case. I usually rotate 8-10 of them running at any one time.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
oh dear, I seem to have increased a bit on my last post. I now have 4 longcase complete with cases, one of which took a position previously held by a longcase movement on a shelf. At the moment there are 8 longcase movements and dials on the floor in the sitting room, two will go into the BHI auction in October but there are two that need to find a home on the wall. (running out of walls)

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
OK, I read this, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say I have 115 of what I call "proper" clocks. Not including about another 15-20 small alarm clocks, and a Jefferson Golden Hour. What's embarrassing is that I've "narrowed down" the collection :?| But, If I really needed or wanted to I would sell any/all of them.

Most are not running. Some are in pieces. All of them are restorable. Almost all are antique, the most recent date to 1930s. Almost all of them are 19th c. I have some 18th, but I think 18th is actually too old, I'm just not as turned on by a lot of 18th c. clocks. I suppose my favorites are early to middle 19th. I always seem to be looking for clocks.

Oh yes, I literally just purchased a Black Forest mantle clock, a 30 hr. "stockuhr" about 1875. The price was inexpensive, and they are not often seen. I promised myself I won't buy any more clocks unless I find something really different or unique (which is getting hard for me to unearth). I am looking for a "capucine" pendule d'officier.

I have inexpensive clocks, and more expensive clocks as well. Perhaps contrary to what most collectors feel, I don't have any desire for clocks that are too expensive. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a clock valued too high in monetary terms.

I go nuts for clocks that are well used, show signs of use, taken care of over time, or even modified over time. Unsigned, or handmade clocks. I even have a few factory clocks, because who doesn't like a good factory made clock. Sometimes, I look at my clocks, and really feel appreciation for "what they are". The clocks are my favorite worldly things. I wish my wife liked them more than she does, but nobody gets everything they want in life. I have learned a lot of life lessons, and history from my clocks. :thumb:

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Why, oh, why doesn't the message board allow deletion of a post using the edit button?

Attachments

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Here are corner shots of just one room...am I effing nuts or what?

An affliction which I enjoy and have no interest in curing.

Some speak of a mature collection of just a few choice objects. I guess I'm not ready to "mature"?

display 3.JPG display 4.JPG display 2.JPG display 1.JPG

RM

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Even I don't have clocks displayed in front of doors. That's quite remarkable, RM. I've posted a few of my collection scenes on the other thread, "Clocks in their natural settings."

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Even I don't have clocks displayed in front of doors. That's quite remarkable, RM. I've posted a few of my collection scenes on the other thread, "Clocks in their natural settings."
Lucky for me I don't need to go into that closet very often. I use it for long term storage...I think there are a few clocks in there that lost their place to others.

RM

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Why, oh, why doesn't the message board allow deletion of a post using the edit button?

jeremy -

you have a limited amount of time to go back and edit posts after they've been submitted.

if you still have the red 'edit post' link at the bottom of your post, you can get into edit mode, choose 'advanced edit', and then use the completely unintuitive (and ugly) 'File Upload Manager' to manually delete 'attached thumbnails' that should have already been deleted because you deleted them while editing your post.

sucks, but that's the way it is.

you can always ask an admin to delete them for you after the fact.

smike

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
I'm almost reminded of Wallpaper RM. That's an impressive collection/display.

marylander

Sep 9, 2008
Maryland
Country
Region
Good to see the display. My wife and I enjoy ours. All our clock are working but not all wound up. Any clock is less than 7 days will be left unwound or be wound once in a while. It is too much work to wind all the clock. It is fun to watch clock running especially those 400-day clocks. Here I share some of my display. Phones taken sometime ago using cell phone.
Ming

Attachments

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's how my house would look if I lived alone. But I seem to have a housemate that does not share my enthusiasm :D

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
RM,
What a great collection! (You and I seem to have a bias for American clocks.)
Ray Rice

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
It is fun to watch clock running especially those 400-day clocks.
I've always been impressed with your collection of 400-day clocks...I believe I've seen this picture before. Wow! :coolsign: I've been wondering where I'm going with 26-ish clocks!! I don't have any horizontal place for them...but the shelving is a possibility.

Kurt

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
RM,
What a great collection! (You and I seem to have a bias for American clocks.)
Ray Rice
Thanks for your kind comments!

Yes, virtually all American clocks with a few exceptions.

And that's only part of the collection you're seeing.

I had planned to post more clocks than I already have. However, there just doesn't seem to be much interest on the MB beyond "dating", "id'ing" and stuff like how to decorate clocks with mirrors and LED's.

So, at this point, I guess I'm not going to do so because I can't justify the time I generally spend researching and putting together a posting given the limited interest in antique American clocks.

I think it's telling that after 6 pages of threads started over nearly 7 years of participation (so that doesn't include those clocks posted on existing threads), most of those about the clocks that interest me, people saying that I should post things that I would find interesting if I don't like what's there. Where have they been?? They clearly haven't been following nor interested.

RM

Last edited:

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
Thanks for your kind comments!

Yes, virtually all American clocks with a few exceptions.

And that's only part of the collection you're seeing.

I had planned to post more clocks than I already have. However, there just doesn't seem to be much interest on the MB beyond "dating", "id'ing" and stuff like how to decorate clocks with mirrors and LED's.

So, at this point, I guess I'm not going to do so because I can't justify the time I generally spend researching and putting together a posting given the limited interest in antique American clocks.

I think it's telling that after 6 pages of threads started over nearly 7 years of participation (so that doesn't include those clocks posted on existing threads), most of those about the clocks that interest me, people saying that I should post things that I would find interesting if I don't like what's there. Where have they been?? They clearly haven't been following nor interested.

RM
I think you are confusing interest with enthusiasm. I've only been on the board for about a year (this Wednesday, hint, hint), and I'm sure there plenty of other fresh faces who would enjoy seeing your clocks. Let's see a sample of what you got? I probably can't contribute a lot of informative feedback, but promise to say "wow" once in a while.

Tom

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I think you are confusing interest with enthusiasm. I've only been on the board for about a year (this Wednesday, hint, hint), and I'm sure there plenty of other fresh faces who would enjoy seeing your clocks. Let's see a sample of what you got? I probably can't contribute a lot of informative feedback, but promise to say "wow" once in a while.

Tom
Possibly though I think that they go hand in hand and are inextricably linked.

I've already posted a significant sampling of my clocks. Go to my profile and click on "latest threads". You will see pages of thread, many about clocks. Many of those are scarce examples with detailed descriptions, links to relevant articles etc. Silas B. Terry, John Wheeler (quite obscure), Charles Alvah Smith (a guy who made wonderful wood works clocks in the 20th century), etc, etc.

Take a look at the threads I've already started first and let me know what you think.

But at this point, I feel I've given my all to the MB with limited success. It's not what people want...or, frankly, seem to be able to grasp.

What's that old expression about leading a horse to water...?

RM

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Possibly though I think that they go hand in hand and are inextricably linked.

I've already posted a significant sampling of my clocks. Go to my profile and click on "latest threads". You will see pages of thread, many about clocks. Many of those are scarce examples with detailed descriptions, links to relevant articles etc. Silas B. Terry, John Wheeler (quite obscure), Charles Alvah Smith (a guy who made wonderful wood works clocks in the 20th century), etc, etc.

Take a look at the threads I've already started first and let me know what you think.

But at this point, I feel I've given my all to the MB with limited success. It's not what people want...or, frankly, seem to be able to grasp.

What's that old expression about leading a horse to water...?

RM
Funny, all I seem to see on the board recently is people complaining that nobody responds to their posts.

There is a huge range of interests here, mine is 17rh and 18th century English longcase clocks which is distinct minority, it is unlikely that all that many will be interested in any one subject.

I still post though, because I find the subject fascinating and I know that my pictures are going to be available for others to see which hopeful;ly will increase the interest and knowledge in the subject.

I've also learned a great deal from other people's posts, even if there are so few with specific experience of my area of interest to some extent a clock is a clock and a lot of the issues and explanations are relevant.

There does seem to bew a problem, though, that in this modern world people expect instant attention.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I go the mb every day and comment on many postings. I always learn something new on the mb and appreciate all that post regularly.
I have many interests in the hobby so i am interested in many kins of postings, watch and clock and repair related.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment