Clockmaking History

Richard Cedar

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2019
I am in the process of writing an article for the NAWCC Bulletin on contemporary clockmakers that includes a brief discussion on the history of small clockmaking workshops. The draft article included the paragraph - "With the advent of the industrial revolution, the small craft workshops either evolved into large industrial factories or, unable to compete with mass-produced products, gradually died out. With a few exceptions, by the mid-1900s, small clockmaking workshops had virtually disappeared." The Bulletin Editor, Laura Taylor, has requested that I provide a citation that supports the assertions in this paragraph. I have found numerous articles that discuss the history of specific clockmakers that support these comments; however, I am struggling to find a good reference that discusses the demise of small clockmakers in general.

Clockmaking historians, do you agree that my comments on the demise of small clockmaking workshops are correct, and if so, could you point me to an article that I can reference to support these comments?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Richard Cedar.

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
I am in the process of writing an article for the NAWCC Bulletin on contemporary clockmakers that includes a brief discussion on the history of small clockmaking workshops. The draft article included the paragraph - "With the advent of the industrial revolution, the small craft workshops either evolved into large industrial factories or, unable to compete with mass-produced products, gradually died out. With a few exceptions, by the mid-1900s, small clockmaking workshops had virtually disappeared." The Bulletin Editor, Laura Taylor, has requested that I provide a citation that supports the assertions in this paragraph. I have found numerous articles that discuss the history of specific clockmakers that support these comments; however, I am struggling to find a good reference that discusses the demise of small clockmakers in general.

Clockmaking historians, do you agree that my comments on the demise of small clockmaking workshops are correct, and if so, could you point me to an article that I can reference to support these comments?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Richard Cedar.
Start with "Generally, " or "For the most part, " or "In my opinion, ". Ask her to prove otherwise.

I am not a historian; however, I would publish it as it is and "if and when" someone refutes it a good discussion could be had.

Richard Cedar

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2019
To clarify, I am not trying to avoid the request as I agree that it is good practice to be able to cite references that support one’s assertions. Being a clockmaker rather than a clock historian, I am interested to know if there is a definitive book on clockmaking history that I should read to become more knowledgeable and then cite as a reference.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Depending on what country you are in why no contact one of the large national libraries and ask them about any books on the subject?