• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Clockmaker indentifacation help please

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
Hello to all members!
I think this is the third time that I have posted on this forum, and everyone was very helpful! Today I received this clock from a relative. It belonged to my great-great grandmother. I was wondering if any members here might have an idea as to who the maker of this clock was? I have not had a chance yet, (with my Dad's help) to take this clock apart, and we probably won't for a long while yet. I suspect that it may be an E. Ingraham clock, as I have an E. Ingraham clock that has a very similar looking case. This clock seems to have been well taken care of over the years! There doesn't appear to be any labels or anything like that on the case, but there is a name, Adolph Yuncker written in pencil on the back of the case., as well as a date (Sept 10, 1883) I did a little bit of research on Adolph, and he appears to have been a clock maker/repairman who lived in Trenton, New Jersey. Apparently he died in 1912. I'm wondering if that date may have been the first time it was serviced? But of course it would be impossible to know! :) The pendulum is quit interesting to me, since none of my other clocks have this type. Does anyone know what it is called? Also, does anyone know how the numbers on the pendulum are suppose to work? it looks like the numbers go from 0 to like 98 or 99? I know it has to do with adjusting the speed of the clock. The clock seems to work well so far! The striker bell is also very shiny and so is the pendulum! There is pretty much no tarnish at all! I appreciate any help that anyone can give me about this family clock! NOTE It seems I can't get the other to photos that I share to post here. Hopefully you will be able to click on the thumb nails of the other two photos, if not, please let me know, and I will try to post the other two photos again!
2021-07-02 13.34.42.jpg
2021-07-02 13.26.39.jpg 2021-07-02 17.37.14.jpg

Last edited:

owen.or

NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Near Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
This clock appears to be an example of the "Rhine" model by the New Haven Clock Company. Tran Duy Ly's 1997 New Haven book shows a line drawing of this model from the 1880 New Haven catalog. The clock was likely produced for at least a few years before and after that year. The example in Tran Duy Ly's book has a woman's face in place of the rosette just above the top of the door. David, Owen.or

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
This clock appears to be an example of the "Rhine" model by the New Haven Clock Company. Tran Duy Ly's 1997 New Haven book shows a line drawing of this model from the 1880 New Haven catalog. The clock was likely produced for at least a few years before and after that year. The example in Tran Duy Ly's book has a woman's face in place of the rosette just above the top of the door. David, Owen.or
David,
Thank you for the reply! I have heard of Tran Duv Ly's books, but I don't own any. I was curious as to what model it is. Thanks again!

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
Hello to all members!
I think this is the third time that I have posted on this forum, and everyone was very helpful! Today I received this clock from a relative. It belonged to my great-great grandmother. I was wondering if any members here might have an idea as to who the maker of this clock was? I have not had a chance yet, (with my Dad's help) to take this clock apart, and we probably won't for a long while yet. I suspect that it may be an E. Ingraham clock, as I have an E. Ingraham clock that has a very similar looking case. This clock seems to have been well taken care of over the years! There doesn't appear to be any labels or anything like that on the case, but there is a name, Adolph Yuncker written in pencil on the back of the case., as well as a date (Sept 10, 1883) I did a little bit of research on Adolph, and he appears to have been a clock maker/repairman who lived in Trenton, New Jersey. Apparently he died in 1912. I'm wondering if that date may have been the first time it was serviced? But of course it would be impossible to know! :) The pendulum is quit interesting to me, since none of my other clocks have this type. Does anyone know what it is called? Also, does anyone know how the numbers on the pendulum are suppose to work? it looks like the numbers go from 0 to like 98 or 99? I know it has to do with adjusting the speed of the clock. The clock seems to work well so far! The striker bell is also very shiny and so is the pendulum! There is pretty much no tarnish at all! I appreciate any help that anyone can give me about this family clock! NOTE It seems I can't get the other to photos that I share to post here. Hopefully you will be able to click on the thumb nails of the other two photos, if not, please let me know, and I will try to post the other two photos again! View attachment 661312 View attachment 661321 View attachment 661323
I now Believe that this is probably a New Haven Clock. Does anyone here think that this is the original pendulum for it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent