"Clocking-in" clock

lsandman

Oct 30, 2021
Country
This is a UK 'clocking-in' clock. a VERY sturdy clock mechanism (which makes sense I guess?). It all works but I think its missing a lead (there were pieces of lead in the case) 'funnel'/guide for the clocking-in card. that could be slid left and right to timestamp in/out/in/out across the card. Does anybody have experience of these? I have no idea what the missing piece looks like. I was considering getting a replacement made by 3D printing. Any thoughts would be ver
IMG_0364.JPEG
y welcome. IMG_0354.JPEG IMG_0363.JPEG IMG_0362.JPEG IMG_0361.JPEG IMG_0360.JPEG IMG_0359.JPEG IMG_0358.JPEG IMG_0357.JPEG IMG_0356.JPEG IMG_0355.JPEG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I think its missing a lead (there were pieces of lead in the case) 'funnel'/guide for the clocking-in card.

Yes, you do seem to be missing the card guide (it certainly wasn't made of lead!) and also the arm which moves the card guide and clicks into the 'in' and 'out' notches. On clocks I have had this is a complete assembly which slides along the guide rails and the arm protrudes through the slot in the front with the 'in' 'out' notches. The card guide is aluminum or steel, not lead.

I may have a photograph - I will see if I can find it. What make is your clock? - it is not quite the same as the ones I have had, though the principal is the same. (The words on the dial are too indistinct to read).

Others may know more/better.
JTD

lsandman

Oct 30, 2021
Country
Yes, you do seem to be missing the card guide (it certainly wasn't made of lead!) and also the arm which moves the card guide and clicks into the 'in' and 'out' notches. On clocks I have had this is a complete assembly which slides along the guide rails and the arm protrudes through the slot in the front with the 'in' 'out' notches. The card guide is aluminum or steel, not lead.

I may have a photograph - I will see if I can find it. What make is your clock? - it is not quite the same as the ones I have had, though the principal is the same. (The words on the dial are too indistinct to read).

Others may know more/better.
JTD
Thanks JTD - I appreciate your feedback. No - can’t find a name anywhere.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
They were usually Gledhill Brook made in England, but I don't think this one is. Have a Google look for "time recorder" and threads on here for the same thing.

lsandman

Oct 30, 2021
Country
They were usually Gledhill Brook made in England, but I don't think this one is. Have a Google look for "time recorder" and threads on here for the same thing.
Thanks Mike. I haven’t found a match so far but I’ll keep looking and repost if I find it.

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
Bit confused by the 'time-only' . All clocking in clocks were time only as far as I know. Many had two winding arbors, but that was still only for the time and the card punch mechanism.

JTD
If I remember correctly, I.T.R. made some that struck the hour and half-hour and that was an active strike. Others made some with a single passive bell strike on the hour and half-hour but those were more akin to Estel's Program Clock which was more of a shift clock than a "clock in/out" clock.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
If I remember correctly, I.T.R. made some that struck the hour and half-hour and that was an active strike

You may well be right, but I've never come across one of those. Perhaps they were just for US market? But you live and learn.

JTD

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haydee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions