• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Clock won't run with pendulum on.

time327

Registered User
Apr 26, 2005
245
2
0
Good day all,

Very strange, clock runs like crazy with pendulum off but with the pendulum on, won't keep running. Have adjusted everything I know to adjust. Bad Spring? Though it ran fine before and kept perfect time.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Steve
 

harold bain

Registered User
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
40,851
172
63
72
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Steve, it sounds like an "out of beat" problem.
 

R. Croswell

Registered User
Apr 4, 2006
10,733
1,010
113
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I believe Harold is right. Try raising first one side of the clock, then the other a little at a time up to an inch or two and see if you can find a point where the clock will run while in this unlevel position. If so, you just need to adjust the beat. Also check to be sure the pendulum is not rubbing against something in the case.

Bob C.
 

Scottie-TX

Registered User
Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
936
55
0
80
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I know it's tempting to make conclusions about a clock that can successfully free-run but in reality, I see no valid purpose for this test other than propensity to run - that it can or could run.
Reason for this is not all movements will free run, but run just fine with a pendulum and vice versa.
Yours is vice versa and probably out of beat as others conclude.
 

shutterbug

Moderator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
44,950
1,494
113
North Carolina
Country
Region
It appears that you're a relative "newby" (48 posts so far) so I'll just clarify that "in beat" means the tic and toc are even (same time interval from one to the other). If you can hear the difference (and most can) you'll need to adjust the crutch toward the long side of the beat. If the crutch is a wire, you can bend it just a bit. If it's solid, you can gently push it until you feel it move a little bit. The crutch hooks onto the verge or pallets (the part that rocks back and forth and makes the tic-toc sound). Refer to the diagrams of clock parts in the first post for clarification.
 

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
3,948
3
0
metro NY area
Scottie-TX said:
I know it's tempting to make conclusions about a clock that can successfully free-run but in reality, I see no valid purpose for this test other than propensity to run - that it can or could run.
Reason for this is not all movements will free run, but run just fine with a pendulum and vice versa.
Yours is vice versa and probably out of beat as others conclude.
Scottie,

I find that the free-run test is a very good indication as to whether a movement is in healthy condition. If it stops during a free run test, you know there's a problem with the works. I've never seen a clock that wouldn't free-run (once the movement is angled enough to allow it to free-run) if the movement was OK. If a movement won't free-run: it might run for a while with a pendulum attached, but will eventually show symptoms of a problem, usually by stopping.
 

time327

Registered User
Apr 26, 2005
245
2
0
Thanks for the replies
This is a Gustav Becker movement and what I have noticed is that the pallets or verge seems to move pretty easy on the pallet arbor. But I see no way to tighten.
Steve
 

Scottie-TX

Registered User
Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
936
55
0
80
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
We could DEFINITELY help you more with that problem if we had a closeup picture of the pallet arbor and anchor assembly. Often, the anchor is drifted onto a square section of the arbor with a taper. Sometimes a pin thru the arbor is also used. Howabout a picture or tell us how it is fastened.
 

Hayson

Registered User
Mar 2, 2008
1,074
2
38
Country
Region
Thyme said:
Scottie-TX said:
I know it's tempting to make conclusions about a clock that can successfully free-run but in reality, I see no valid purpose for this test other than propensity to run - that it can or could run.
Reason for this is not all movements will free run, but run just fine with a pendulum and vice versa.
Yours is vice versa and probably out of beat as others conclude.
Scottie,

I find that the free-run test is a very good indication as to whether a movement is in healthy condition. If it stops during a free run test, you know there's a problem with the works. I've never seen a clock that wouldn't free-run (once the movement is angled enough to allow it to free-run) if the movement was OK. If a movement won't free-run: it might run for a while with a pendulum attached, but will eventually show symptoms of a problem, usually by stopping.
Many deadbeats are not happy runners without a pendulum. Recoil escapements usually do "run on" without a pendulum in the way you describe but it is not a universal truth.
 

Scottie-TX

Registered User
Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
936
55
0
80
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Thanks STEVE. We look forward to a picture that will help us help you more.
Many deadbeats are not happy runners without a pendulum. Recoil escapements usually do "run on" without a pendulum in the way you describe but it is not a universal truth.
That's been pretty much my experience on freerun, HAYS. Some deadbeats do; Not all will. MOST recoils will freerun when adjusted properly.
 

Hayson

Registered User
Mar 2, 2008
1,074
2
38
Country
Region
Scottie-TX said:
Thanks STEVE. We look forward to a picture that will help us help you more.
Many deadbeats are not happy runners without a pendulum. Recoil escapements usually do "run on" without a pendulum in the way you describe but it is not a universal truth.
That's been pretty much my experience on freerun, HAYS. Some deadbeats do; Not all will. MOST recoils will freerun when adjusted properly.
Yes. The dead beats that will freerun without a pendulum are usually those with a long leader that has quite a bit of mass. In other words it acts, to some extent like a pendulum in its own right.
 

Scottie-TX

Registered User
Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
936
55
0
80
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I believe that will need tightened either by closing the hole in the collar or "marking' - creating ruts in the arbor that will create an interference fit.
More involved, but I can also see where you could drill and tap the collar for a setscrew.
I'll let someone more adept at that counsel you there.
 

harold bain

Registered User
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
40,851
172
63
72
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
From the pictures, it looks like the arbor is threaded to the crutch. Is this where it is loose?
 

Scottie-TX

Registered User
Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
936
55
0
80
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
WOW, thanks!
You gots better eyes. I wuz thinkin' - - - - - well; Never mind
You know whut I wuz thinkin'
Thanks.