Clock timing phone app?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by TJ Cornish, Oct 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TJ Cornish

TJ Cornish Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 12, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are a couple really useful watch timing apps - Watch Tuner Timegrapher being the best I've found. Is there an equivalent on the clock side? I can't yet justify a Micro Set but would like a faster way to regulate clocks if there's an inexpensive option.

Anyone know of something?

Thanks!

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would think the one for watches would also work for clocks. For the iPhone, ClockMaster is not a bad app to have at your disposal.

3. TJ Cornish

NAWCC Member

Sep 12, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The watch timing apps I have seen aren't designed for the slower beat rate of clocks, so at least the ones I know of won't work. Thanks for the recommendation of Clock Master - I have purchased and will give it a try!

4. TJ Cornish

NAWCC Member

Sep 12, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I tried ClockMaster, and unfortunately I'm not impressed. I have been trying to regulate my new Seth Thomas #1 regulator which I believe is 80 bpm, and even though I can observe the clock being significantly fast - like 1 minute/day fast, the app shows it as running at 79.something BPM and claims the clock is losing time. I let it collect an average for 30 seconds or so, and it was trending the wrong way, so I don't think it's an issue of not enough samples. Also, even in a very quiet room it requires the sensitivity to be set almost all the way up.

Any other apps anyone is familiar with? If not, it's time to save up for a Micro Set, I guess.

5. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    The phone timing apps(I have found) need total silence(other than the clock or watch being tested).
    Any ambient sounds wreak havoc with them.

Rob

6. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Buying a Microset may not be as bad as you think. Last month I purchased a mint-condition Microset 2 with rate finder and interface software for $185 on eBay. In addition, I've seen used Microsets at regional marts.

Jim