Clock ticking really quiet

Clockwork orange

May 2, 2021
Country
Hello everybody,I’ve just rebuilt an Enfield clock stripped it down,cleaned and now on the test stand,it has a lovely beat running a little fast but I’m not worried about that yet I’ll sort that when it’s in the case,but it’s tick tick is so quiet,is this normal or is it a sight there’s something wrong,it’s running lovely but I can hardly hear it
Thanks for reading

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
If you don’t know how loud it ticked before you rebuilt it, then I personally wouldn’t worry about it. If the soft ticking is an indication of loss of power, you will see evidence elsewhere. it will show up in the amplitude of the pendulum and in its ability to stay running. The hammer lift will be slow or stop the clock. Slow strike or chime. All those are better indicators of power loss.

Reactions: disciple_dan

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Overswing is a better indicator of a clocks health but it should sound as loud as similar clocks.

Put a good beat amp on it. If the quiet tick is varying, you have a problem there somewhere.

Make sure the hands are both free to wiggle on their shafts, with the power removed.

Willie X

Clockwork orange

May 2, 2021
Country
Thankyou for your reply chaps,I put the clock on test at 4 pm and it’s now 12:45AM and it’s still ticking away,the beat although quiet is really good and in synchro sound doesn’t raise and drop off its consistentits running slightly fast but in a way I’m glad about that because the pendulum is wound to the top with no more left so I couldn’t speed it up anymore by the pendulum if it was running slow,I’ll see where it’s at in the morning when I wake up if it’s still ticking away I’ll be happy,I mean don’t get me wrong there is a tick there but it’s a lot quieter than the smiths Enfield I’ve rebuilt,I’ll leave it on the test stand for three days and hopefully if it’s still running I’ll put it back in it’s case and be happy,there’s no overseeing Willie,it’s a nice balanced swing with a nice balanced tick tick even from centre,the strike is ok I think jack,it seems consistent and from what I can see at the moment it’s not laboured,it has a swift even movement when it strikes,so all is looking ok in that area fingers crossed for the morning,I sleep in hope lol

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Man, that was almost impossible to read. Not being snarky, but idiomatic grammar, punctuation,and capitalization exist for a reason. They all aid a reader's ability to comprehend the writer's intentions.

Clocks in general, in my admittedly limited experience,are much quieter on the test stand, as there is no case to act as a resonator. Is it possible that's all you're experiencing?

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
MuseChaser is one of my buds, and you really touched a nerve with him! ;) I love the idiom = keep it coming. If it runs well and is quiet, count your blessings! I've got a couple of clocks that are so noisy I've banished them to the far end of the house so they won't keep me awake at night. Willie X is right as usual - overswing is a better indicator of health than noise.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
If your clock continues to work, the pendulum has overswing. Willie X is correct that without overswing, the pendulum will soon stop.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Man, that was almost impossible to read. Not being snarky, but idiomatic grammar, punctuation,and capitalization exist for a reason. They all aid a reader's ability to comprehend the writer's intentions.

Clocks in general, in my admittedly limited experience,are much quieter on the test stand, as there is no case to act as a resonator. Is it possible that's all you're experiencing?
The poster may have been using his phone, which on mine requires shifting the text bar to access punctuation marks. It makes typing slow to a snail's pace, so are often left out.

Reactions: Clockwork orange

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
There also may be the interference of spell check which blots out and confuses many coloquilisms.
I suppose it is not a good trait to be critical while admitting little experience.
I got the message and I think most everyone else did without being offended or being rude.
Dick

Clockwork orange

May 2, 2021
Country
Thankyou for the replys everyone,I anxiously went and checked it as soon as I woke up and it’s still ticking away. Excuse my ignorance in my post about overswing which Willie pointed out ,it does have overswing ,I wasnt sure what it meant,I’m new to clocks and this one is only the second I’ve done,So I’m feeling happy that I’ve woke up to it still ticking.I use my phone as my device to post on this forum and can be a nightmare sometimes,but I must say I was surprised to see that my post ,along with its grammar issues had sparked such a reaction.So all in all very happy.
Many thanks for your replies
kind reguards
Steve

SuffolkM

NAWCC Member
Jun 15, 2020
Country
Just a thought, the depthing on the pallet one way the sound levels can vary. If you want a really noisy clock, lifting the pallet higher will make louder noises (and a reduction in power). With a good pendulum swing and a quiet tick/tock you might actually conclude this clock is set up perfectly!

Reactions: Clockwork orange

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The ticking sound is created by the drop of from one pallet and then being caught by the other. Minimum lock and drop are the ideal most of the time, but if you wanted it a little louder you could increase the drops.

SuffolkM

NAWCC Member
Jun 15, 2020
Country
I am amazed by the timing of my post and Shutterbug's. You have got to be kidding how close those posts landed!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
LOL. I noticed yours as soon as mine posted, Suffolk. I must have been typing slowly :)

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
But why do you want to increase the tick? I'm baffled! :???:

As for the spill chucker, mine's the same! CO's post #4 still has me beat - dunno where a jack comes into it!

Clockwork orange

May 2, 2021
Country
Thanks for your posts everyone,tha clock Is running lovely and keeping cracking time now Ive adjusted the pendulum ,I was just taken back by how quiet it was,I’m happy with a quiet tick,i asked the question just to check to improve my knowledge. I’m chuffed with it
kind reguards
steve

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
There also may be the interference of spell check which blots out and confuses many coloquilisms.
I suppose it is not a good trait to be critical while admitting little experience.
I got the message and I think most everyone else did without being offended or being rude.
Dick
I guess it's all in one's interpretations of a post. My post made an observation about the difficulty of reading untraditionally constructed English prose without once insinuating anything derogatory about the person posting it, then I posited a possible explanation for the poster's observation.

In return, you characterized me as rude and offended, thereby insulting me. I was, and am not, either.

This post was composed on a phone.

My apologies to the OP for the thread drift.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
OK guys. We get people from many countries, languages, cultures and education here. If there are issues with understanding, try to work it out by re-reading. No real need to point it out, cause embarrassment, or retaliate. The focus is on the clock and its problems. Lets let the rest go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodgoff
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller