clock striking 12 at 11 and 12

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by unit91, Jul 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. unit91

unit91 Registered User

Sep 25, 2009
    Chesterfield, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a mantle clock with 3 key winding points for time, strike, and chimes. The clock strikes 12 at the 11 and 12 o'clock hours. The remaining hours strike correctly. What could be causing this?

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it is a rack and snail strike, the position of the snail may be a bit off, causing the rack to fall into the 12 position at both times. Maybe the snail needs to be moved for just one tooth. Speculation, of course. Show us pictures of the front of the movement and we might be able to give a more definite answer.

Uhralt

disciple_dan likes this.
  3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that´s what comes to my mind,too.See if You can get off the hands and dial and have a look what´s going on there when the clock strikes 11 or 12.
    Best regards
    Burkhard

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed. If it was striking 11 at 11 and 12, that would indicate the rack is not dropping, which could be sticking due to wear or a bent rack or similar. If it strikes 12, we know it is dropping all the way, so it must be missing the landing for 11 and reaching the landing for 12 on the snail. I suppose it could also be slipping at the ratchet allowing an extra strike, but I think that would be prevalent at more than just during the 11 o'clock strike.

Is there such a thing as non- rack and snail in a 3 train clock? I've never seen a count wheel in a chime clock, but I've not seen them all.

Also, this should probably be moved to the Repair section.

Tom

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Also, the snail (or handshaft) could be bent or out of place, or the rack tail could be out of position. These two problems can cause the rack to drop along the side of the snail instead of squarely on one of the 12 ledges.

Adding to what Uhralt mentioned, the rack should drop at the exact center of the 11 o'clock ledge at 11:00. The coarse adjustment is made by remeshing between the snail and the little motion works gears, usually to the right of the handshaft. The fine adjustment is done at the back mesh point where the larger of the motion works gear meshes with the small gear on the minute hand shaft. This is behind the snail.

Lots of times the front (coarse) adjustment will do it but quite often the correct adjustment can only be made with the rear (fine) afjustment.

Good luck, Willie X

NEW65 likes this.
  6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I always set up the snail using the 11:00 shelf. It's the narrowest one, and when it's right the rest will be right too.

NEW65 and bangster like this.
  7. moe1942

moe1942 Registered User

Oct 25, 2010
    retired USAF Etc..
    Alexandria, La
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yes...

8. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Smart thinking is behind all of what has been said.

9. unit91

unit91 Registered User

Sep 25, 2009
    Chesterfield, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How do I post a photo?

10. unit91

unit91 Registered User

Sep 25, 2009
    Chesterfield, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got it. 20190717_185126.jpg

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You remove the e-clip and the large washer (note how it goes back on - don't turn it over) then lift the snail up and turn it one tooth counter clockwise. Put the washer and e-clip back on and test.

12. unit91

unit91 Registered User

Sep 25, 2009
    Chesterfield, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Worked like a charm! Thank you! I don't understand what I did but it fixed the problem. You guys are geniuses to be able to understand these movements. Anyway, thanks again.

13. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad we could help!

Uhralt

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You just altered the position of the snail in relationship to the wheel that drives it. Eventually all of this mystery will be very common knowledge for you :D