Clock strikes one minute past the hour

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Anthony Landi, Nov 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Anthony Landi

Anthony Landi Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Am new at this so please forgive if redundant. Have Ansoniia clock, it strikes one minute after the hour and half. There is no play with the minute hand. How is this corrected?

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can try turning the minute hand over. If that doesn't work, 1 minute is not enough to warrant the effort needed to correct it. You would have to increase the J hook bend ever so slightly.

3. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I wish I could help you but I have the opposite problem...my Seth Thomas Umbria strikes 2 minutes before the hour (sigh)

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The ST might have a hand collet that you can just turn to adjust.

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would really help to see a few pictures of the clock(s) we are talking about. For some clocks +/- one minute is acceptable, others might be expected to do better. Two minutes off is too much for me to approve.

RC

6. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    thanks shutterbug for your response...after twisting, pushing, pulling, yelling the umbria now strikes 1 minute before 12. a 100% improvement.. i'm surprised no one suggested rotating the dial by about 12 degrees counter clockwise so the minute hand would be on the 12 when striking. why does the 12 have to be at the top anyway:???: who made that rule:???:

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    A crooked dial is notacable 24/7. A strike that isn't on the mark is rarely notacable unless you sit and stare at the clock a lot ... :) Willie X

8. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bending the unlocking lever on the minute shaft forward or backwards controls when the unlocking occurs. It it trial and error for sure.

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With winding clocks, you can't really turn the dial without messing up the winding square position ;)

10. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, if you widen the hook, the strike will occur when the minute hand is closer (preferably on) the twelve?

11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Widening or narrowing the hook will not get what you seek. You want to change the 'curl' of the hook in the correct direction. This will be a very small amount for a two minute change.

I'm with Bugs and RC. My reasoning is based on the possibility of breaking something! Oops, now my clock doesn't work at all!

Willie X

12. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not planning on doing this, but I'm trying to visualize it. Are you saying you would adjust on the turn, making the shorter part of the "J" longer or shorter depending on how you want the minute hand to adjust?

13. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  14. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Adjusting the J hook if there is one. You can increase and decrease when it drops off the lift. This will be on the 12, before or after, till you get it right.

15. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, if the short part of the J is too long, it will take longer to drop off after the hand passes the 12. If it's short, it will drop off before the hand reaches the 12? I'm surprised someone hasn't come up some kind of end that makes it possible to adjust. The fact no one has suggests that it's not a big enough issue to bother.

Wow... This is why these things are so fascinating to me. It's beautifully simple while being complicated at the same time. It's like a 19th century computer. It always amazes me that someone had to figure all this out.

16. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. If both the hour and half hour drop off are equally off, adjusting the J hook will fix the problem. Widen the hook to make the drop occur earlier, narrow it for later.
    However if the two are not equal (and assuming you don't have a passing strike), then you have to adjust the lift on the arbor, not the hook.

17. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check out bangster's "Adjusting the J-wire hook article. I still can't do a link, so click on the "How to Do It" section at the top of this forum, then Hints and How-to's forum. Scroll down to his article.

18. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! This helps greatly. :)