Clock Stops II

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by bangster, Oct 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I had to shuck it down again and rebush the escape wheel.

Now it won't run but a barely few ticks. I suspect its a pallets problem --locks & drops & that sort of thing-- but I cain't tell.

I've made a couple of short videos. Maybe y'all can make something of them

EW stops. Why?
    EW stops. Why? (close-up)

Seems not to want to leave the impulse face.
    I wish I knew what the hell I was doing. :glasses:

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bangs, the video is a little jumpy to see very well. If you can, take the pendulum off, start the video camera and very very slowly move the crutch back and forth so we can see just what's going on here.

The most common problem with these Ingraham half-deadbeat escapement is when the escape wheel teeth land on the impulse face instead of the dead face. That will really suck the life out of it. If you can't get a good dead face lock without snagging teeth then the spacing between the pallets is incorrect. Otherwise you have a power problem and you know that drill.

RC

RC

3. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll try to shoot a better video. Bound to be shaky; got no tripod. Use a monopod held with one hand while working the clock with the other.

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Teeth land on the impulse side of the right pallet. Try to move verge closer to the EW. Unfortunately one cannot see the other pallet.

Uhralt

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also, when the clock stops it seems to stop rather abrupt. The bob keeps wiggling while the rod stands still. Something seems to bind the verge or rod.

Uhralt

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see what Uhralt describes. The entrance pallet is hitting the tooth right on the tip. You might bend the center of the pallet strip a tiny bit inward so that can't happen and see how it works then. It could be the exit pallet - hard to see - but same fix.

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay, I've made what I hope is a better video. I dug around in the garage and found a tripod sturdy enough to handle the iPhone.
    tripod.jpg

I tried to set the camera angle so you can see both the entrance and exit pallets.
    Does the video tell you anything that you can tell me?

Escapement Action

8. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the pallet on the left hitting the gap between the EW teeth?

9. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The top of the suspension spring with the wire stop is appears to move in and out from the plate when shown in slow motion.

Is this normal and if not could the bottom of the suspension spring be too close to the plate and possibly hitting it slightly to slow it down?

Or, is there a drag on the suspension rod where it is suspended?

Only a beginner with observations.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The exit pallet is hitting a tooth right on the tip. It may be just one tooth (mark it and see), that just needs to be drawn out and straightened a bit to correct for a little bend at the tip.
    Otherwise, I still stand with my first solution in #6 above. It would not take much.

12. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well it is still hard to see just what's happening in the video because you gave is a swing and it pretty quickly died. It appears to be somewhat out of beat, several of the ew teeth look to be a little buggered up, some of the teeth appear to land on the transition line between impulse and locking faces, and as Shutterbug already stated, it appears to stop when the edge of the exit pallet lands on the tip of a tooth.

What would be helpful would be to remove the suspension spring and pendulum, then make a video of the escapement while you VERY slowly move the crutch back and forth. We need to see the moment each tooth impacts the verge and where.

Based on what I can see, I think you need to begin by cleaning up the ew teeth and make sure they are all absolutely evenly spaced. Keep in mind that it usually isn't just the adjacent tooth that that can be a problem but the tooth locked on the opposite pallet. You probably need a little more lock (verge closer to ew), and if a tooth snags or won't unlock then either you have a bent tooth or the distance between the pallets needs a small adjustment.

You really need to get this escapement operating properly by hand before doing anything else. Then make sure it's in beat. If it still won't run then you likely have a power problem in the going train.

RC

13. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sounds way out of beat

14. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Springs seem wound down quite a bit so lack of power and maybe spring is rubbing an arbor? Also it looks like the strike side is partially into a strike. See if winding these up helps. I agree that some of the ew tips may need straightened but yet hard to be totally sure from video.

15. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wish I knew what the heck I'm doing.

Messing with this escapement, moving things and bending things, I've got it to the point that It Doesn't Work, and I Don't Know what to do next.

Most lately, exit pallet wouldn't release. Backed pallets off from EW a bit. Now exit pallet would unlock, but entrance pallet hit the tip of the tooth and wouldn't lock.
    Opened the pallets a bit to try to fix that. Now exit pallet won't capture teeth no more,EW runs wild rattling the entrance pallet.

I need to start over from scratch. Need advice on setting a starting base from which to proceed. Yeah, I've read that handout on locks and drops, and read other stuff, but now I'm looking for some human advice from y'all.

Assume an escapement is totally out of adjustment. What's the first thing you would do to start with?

I need to get this damned clock out of my shop and out of my life.

16. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Study this for your adjustment.

17. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please see Clock Repair Basics, by Steven Conover, Pages 43, 44, 45. Steve describes "Fitting a Half Deadbeat Strip Pallet Unit" including a simple 3-step process for determining the pallet spacing, and how to adjust the half deadbeat escapement. I believe you already have this book. Follow these instructions and it will at least run so you can do a final adjustment.

RC

18. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the video and the advice. They'll get me started toward salvation.:emoji_anguished: