Clock Staking Tool (NAWCC Bulletin)

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
Hello,

Where do you start back into clockmaking after losing everything in a wildfire? I found trying to determine that has been difficult. I'm thinking I should just do it the same way I started out at the beginning with no clock tools or supplies. Mentally go through the process of overhauling a clock and jotting down every tool that is required (what I call the tier one tools). It is surprising how little you need just to get started, but it is hard because I was probably on "tier 5" in my tool collecting. There were some I never did get to use at all (that escape wheel tooth straightener, for example).

Another approach is to just lay the foundation for further acquisitions. That's what I'm asking about here. There was an article in the NAWCC Bulletin that I had (before it was lost in the fire) which described a clock sized staking tool. This used the same concept as a watchmakers staking set, but sized larger. I would still like to build this. I was thinking of using it in conjunction with my press (which I have yet to replace, but plan to). I had two complete watch staking sets (one was a complete KD Inverto) but it was almost always too small for clock work, so will probably not replace them. I'd like to scale up something for clock size work.

Could someone dig back into their NAWCC Bulletin collection and send me a copy of this article so I'll have the dimensions I need to build this? Thanks!

Stan

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
This is where a membership in the NAWCC is really worth a lot. Members can search the old bulletins. ;)
I haven't kept my old copies since a recent move made them a lower priority for the available space.

Bohemian Bill

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 5, 2010
CENTRAL TEXAS
Country
Region
Hello,

Where do you start back into clockmaking after losing everything in a wildfire? I found trying to determine that has been difficult. I'm thinking I should just do it the same way I started out at the beginning with no clock tools or supplies. Mentally go through the process of overhauling a clock and jotting down every tool that is required (what I call the tier one tools). It is surprising how little you need just to get started, but it is hard because I was probably on "tier 5" in my tool collecting. There were some I never did get to use at all (that escape wheel tooth straightener, for example).

Another approach is to just lay the foundation for further acquisitions. That's what I'm asking about here. There was an article in the NAWCC Bulletin that I had (before it was lost in the fire) which described a clock sized staking tool. This used the same concept as a watchmakers staking set, but sized larger. I would still like to build this. I was thinking of using it in conjunction with my press (which I have yet to replace, but plan to). I had two complete watch staking sets (one was a complete KD Inverto) but it was almost always too small for clock work, so will probably not replace them. I'd like to scale up something for clock size work.

Could someone dig back into their NAWCC Bulletin collection and send me a copy of this article so I'll have the dimensions I need to build this? Thanks!

Stan
Merry Christmas Stan..I am sorry about the Wildfire losses..I did the Boolean search this morning and it took me about 45 minutes to figure it out how to search out the NAWCC bulletins.... your bulletin is 2004, vol46/2, number 349 , page 202. Title " Making your own "clockmaker staking tool"" by John Crawford C.M.W. (Va)

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
Dang, someone gave me about eight Bulletins, but the newest is 343. Missed it by that much! Thanks for spending the time to do the search and figure out what issue it is in. That's a start.

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
I just discovered that this same article was also published in Horological Times and I have a copy of that.
Which issue?

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
Lovely!! Thanx! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stu74111
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions