Clock Setting Question

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Keith Conklin, Sep 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Keith Conklin

Keith Conklin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Male
    Selden, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi All,

Ever since I bought my first 400 say clock and was instructed that one should never move the minute hand backward by more than a small amount. I have held to this idea religiously with all of my clocks 400-Day and otherwise. I must confess that despite working on my three 400-Day clocks I never investigated the reason for this. I just accepted it.
    I was just reading Terwilliger's Horolovar Collection and while writing about striking 400-Day clocks he states
    on page 46:
    "400-Day Clocks all need frequent time corrections. This presents no problem with the time-only movements, since the hands can be turned backward or forward any amount".
    He goes on to explain that you will damage the strike train in a striking clock, which I fully understand.

So is it true that I can just lift the dome and turn away counter clockwise?

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I, too, at first only thought that I could move the hands forward. But I was "corrected". As you wrote, these types of escapements allow moving either direction. Sure makes it hand when the time switches!!!!

What I do is to use a thumb or finger and trap the pendulum at full swing in either direction. While the pendulum is stationary, I change the time as needed. Once set, just easily and carefully pull your thumb out and the clock begins to run as before. If you move the hands at other "non-peak" rotation positions, you might hear a small noise which is the escapement fluttering. It's not harmful generally, but as a general rule, I don't like to move the hands when that occurs. Just make sure the pendulum is at full swing.

HTH...Kurt

Keith Conklin likes this.
  3. Keith Conklin

Keith Conklin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Male
    Selden, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kurt.
    That just simplified my life with my 400-Day clocks!
    Good to know that i can stop the escapement from fluttering if the pendulum is at full swing.
    I never thought to hold it there.

4. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I adjust the time the same way, holding the pendulum at full swing. Then I can accurately place the minute hand where I want. Allowing it to flutter, although I am told is not harmful, the minute hand becomes unpredictable.

Keith Conklin likes this.