Clock Selling

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ClockMogul, Apr 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking to sell old antique clocks that are no longer of interest to me. Dump on craigs list or..?

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    . . . or eBay or a local auction house. Others might have better ideas. Of course, as the rules stand now, we can't broker them here on the Message Board.

3. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    NOBODY is brokering ANYTHING here anywhere ..! I just ask a simple question pertaining to where one goes when they sell clocks is all.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I realized that. I was making the point to remind all who read this thread.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If Steven thought you were doing anything wrong, he would have removed it, CM. It's hard to judge how something is said when it's in writing ;)

6. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Craigs list or Ebay, auction you will get even less after paying all the fees, unless you just want to dump them.

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry,

I know you have a lot of high end clocks.

If these are the clocks you are looking to move, I would look towards Schmitt or one of the other clock auction houses.

Regards.

8. Douglas Romero

Douglas Romero Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Male
    Retired IT consult
    New England
    Country Flag:
    Auction houses can be a costly pain. I have seen items broken at presale showing. The sale and insurance and pickup if necessary can be too costly and troublesome. The payment duration terms can be lengthy to the seller, etc. And who would put any decent timepiece on Craigslist :???: Doug

9. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry, I was just thinking of you the other day. Wondering where you've been? Good to "see" you.

10. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chris, Yes it has been quite sometime since I been on here and not bought any clocks in well over a year. Spending over 6 months a year now in Sri Lanka for the last five years has caused me to have lost interest in the clocks back in the States. I just have more of been concentrating on my # 1 interest of cycling in SE Asia. I still have all my high end clocks packed up in storage and time to decide what I am going to do with them all. I am really in no hurry to dispose of them but plan on doing so and looking at options on how to do it.. I have some pretty serious clocks and time for them to go..:)

11. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds very interesting, glad to hear you're doing well.

12. KyleG

KyleG Registered User

Nov 4, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could post to Horton's Direct Sales at Horton's Sellers Direct. Or possibly sell through Horton's occasional auctions Horton's January 2018 Auction phone (859) 381-8633 email (hortonclocks@aol.com). Clocks that sell from the direct site incur a 5% fee and you arrange shipping, etc directly with a buyer. The auction site may buy your clocks or accept consignment. I have no interest in Horton's.

13. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see a lot of the clocks I look at in real auction houses catalogues end up on ebay. People obviously make good money doing this over a period or they would not do it but the auctions are themselves a bit hit and miss. I have seen a clock bought at auction for £800 on the hammer sell for over £6k, but also recently one bought for £500 on the hammer sell for £500 on ebay which is quite a loss.

14. Time for tea

Time for tea Registered User

Feb 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have just put a clock on ebay this week it is the first time i have done this, i let you know how i get on.

15. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like doing business with Hortons as a buyer. I've never tried to sell anything through them. I usually sell one or a few clocks at a time and mostly on eBay. It takes a lot of time to create a decent listing and between eBay and PayPal you're paying somewhere around 14-15% off the top of your sale price. If you ship and underestimate those costs, you'll end up eating more. Everyone wants "Free Shipping" these days and materials needed to safely send a clock through the Maws of Commercial Shipping are not cheap. Skinner or Fontaines in Massachusetts, ROSchmitt in New Hampshire, Harris in Iowa all have Clock and Watch auctions and can put your items in front of the right market. If you have time and wish to do more of the work yourself, you might look into listing in the NAWCC's Mart Publication too. Not only do individual buyers look at the "Classifieds", Clock Mongers do as well. Good luck. I hope you find good homes for your collection at fair prices.

16. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes that is all pretty much what I have as really never bought anything that was not high end. Thinking about that as a possible venue along with a possible sale at my farm in Ohio sometime ..

17. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Doug, yes i have heard quite a few stories about clocks being consigned to a auction house and having the clocks picked up and transported back to the place with damage and very rough handling. I am still deciding exactly what I want to do with them but they for sure will be disposed of one way or the other. Thanks for the insight...

18. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is an old schoolhouse in a nearby town that has been bought by an individual and converted to a large antique mall. They have semi-annual outdoor sales on the school yard and rent out booths to venders for a weekend. A large variety of merchandise is available. It is attended by thousands of people at every event. I took many clocks to the sale yesterday, some low end and some very nice collectible clocks. I had a very successful day, selling clocks priced from $50 to $500 each. I was the only vender there with clocks. That helped. I sold about a dozen clocks. The key to selling antique clocks in such a venue is finding a well-advertised, well- organized one that has a reputation of having a large attendance.

Jerry, you probably are talking about much more expensive clocks than I had, but it helped to move them fast (one day). I was surprised at how many people came by, who knew what real antique clocks were.

19. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I remember seeing some of your clocks in the past as posted and very nice to say the least. Have you a list prepared that you might share via PM?
    Regards,
    Bruce

20. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I sell most of the clocks I restore on eBay. It usually costs me 15 to 18 percent when all the fees are added in. I sold some at a local auction house and it cost me 23% but I didn't have to ship anything. I have had poor results on Craigslist, but it is free. If you will PM me, I would like to discuss some other options with you.

21. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bruce, Yes I still have all of the ones and most likely a few more, however I have not been active at all on the collecting market of any clocks over the last year or so. As things change "like getting bored" and move onto other things then it is time to let them go elsewhere to others that may enjoy them like I have over the years I had them. I am still trying to figure out the best way of disposing of them as not really in no big hurry to do so..I am open to pretty much any option at the moment..

22. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I realize I'm not the Bruce you're referring to but it occurred to me that you may (please) consider contacting the NAWCC Museum. I don't know what type of budget they have for acquisitions but if your Chelsea in the "Favorite Clocks" thread is any indication, you have a collection that any one of us would truly enjoy experiencing. There are also apparently "high end" sellers who advertise in the Mart. Renaissance Antiques of Solvang California, Fontaines, Skinner and R.O. Schmitt could possibly put your collection in front of the right crowd. As mentioned earlier, Horton's and Harris have been good folks to deal with, in my experiences as a Buyer anyway.

Life's too short. Good luck with all of your future endeavors.
    Regards,
    Bruce

23. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi ClockMogul;

Just a quick thank you for sharing your clocks with us on the MB over the years. It was a great opportunity to get a close look at some beautiful examples of high end offerings from "back-in-the-day".

Enjoy,

Bob

24. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

some things i've learned:

1. provide lots of photos

2. make sure your description and photos are comprehensive and provide all the information the buyer needs to make a fully informed decision

3. double box when shipping... wrap all individual parts separately, put everything in a safely padded box... and then put that box in ANOTHER safely padded box... and cross your fingers

4. specify that you accept returns, but that 1) buyer pays return shipping, 2) original packaging materials must be used, and 3) clock needs to be returned in the same condition it went out. NOTE: eBay has a 100% buyer protection policy. period. if they can claim what they received wasn't was promised they can return it NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY.

5. take way too many pictures as you package it for safe shipment... this will help if there are any issues with shipping, either with the buyer or ups/usps, etc.

25. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Selling on eBay continues to challenge the honest seller. I fully agree with points 1, 3, and 5. However, point 2 has created more problems for me than I care to remember.

What happens is some buyers are using eBay like it was a buy on approval site. Meaning they bid, pay, and if it isn't exactly what THEY THINK it should be or simply don't like it after all, they will open a case with eBay for "Not as Described." The more detail you provide in the item description, the easier it will be for them to pick it apart and find some reason to return it. When that happens, I don't care how you word it in the description about buyer pays return shipping, eBay will require you to pay for return shipping. Example: I sold a Seth Thomas adamantine... It was beautiful and in pristine condition. The buyer complained that the clock in the picture didn't look the same COLOR! How many shades of BLACK are there?

Now, I list a clock with a very basic description: Antique (maker's name) clock. Runs, but will need adjusting after shipping. I include the run time, strike or not, etc, but absolutely nothing about condition. These are facts that cannot be disputed. I never interject my OPINION on condition.

Time After Time likes this.
  26. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #26 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    I think folks have had some interesting comments and advice about selling a clock collection.

The reality is, the OP has had extensive experience buying expensive clocks as well as Victorian furniture in a relatively short period of time employing a variety of venues including Marts and auctions. Before that, there were light bulbs, electric meters and other electrical devices (hence one of his previous monikers, "Meter Mogul") and I suspect there have been other collections acquired and dispersed as well. Much is a matter of record on the MB. So, I'm a bit surprised that given this extensive past experience and as an advanced collector, there should be much question as how to proceed? I guess no harm in soliciting opinions, though.

I will say that auctioneers are always looking for good top end consignments and sometimes that can help leverage a better deal for the consigner. Furthermore, everyone seems quite taken with the items in question and as such could bring other high end collectors out for the auction and produce competitive bidding. Finally, that would also allow time for the new found pursuits but there's a price for convenience.

RM

Time After Time and Raymond Rice like this.
  27. Time for tea

Time for tea Registered User

Feb 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Good advice thanks for that.

28. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bob and thanks alot for the kudos on the clocks. Just as other hobbies I dabbled in, this one to has run its course and time to move on. I have had some very nice collection of other things over the years as well also but became bored with them too.. Not sure the route I will take with these but they are "OUT OF HERE" as they say..Thanks again..

29. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    based on your current comments and the top-notch clocks you've shared from your collection over time, i would look for an auction house or clock seller who 1) seems to deal on the level you need, and 2) offers a connection/feeling of trust that you're partnered w/ the right person... and then let them do their thing while you do yours.

30. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have had several auction houses ask me for specific clocks as to be picking in choosing to what suits them best and NAHHH not going to happen. The easiest ones to sell off will be the last ones to go. Thinking of just possibly piecing them out instead of all of them going at one time..

31. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    I've done quite well buying and selling on craigslist. I've bought and sold some very nice clocks. I might not get the best price, but I also don't have to pay fees.

32. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    agreed... but hard to meet up with craigslisters from sri lanka! :cool: