Clock running fast?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by geodrake, May 4, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. geodrake

geodrake Registered User

Apr 29, 2012
    retired, telecommunications marketing
    Kansas city
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Futura, Geneva, Avante Garde][FONT=Verdana, serif]I sure hope that I am not wearing out my welcome here. I'm an old retired guy that enjoys woodworking. I have built a couple of clocks and in doing so have begun developing an interest in clocks. I bought several on e-bay and am trying to learn by repairing them. i ordered "Clock Repairing As A Hobby" yesterday. If I get to be too much of a pain just say so.

I have a 340-020 movement that is running fast. I have moved the small adjusting regulator on the floating balance wheel as far to the the left (-) as it will go, but it is still fast. Where do I go from here?
    [/FONT][/FONT]

2. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Running fast is usually a sign of a power loss, causing the balance to have a low amplitude of rotation. I would suggest a good cleaning, and possibly replace worn bushings would be required to slow it down. A three train movement with springs would perhaps be not the best starter clock movement to learn on. I'm not familiar with the book you've ordered, so really can't say how helpful it might be. I usually recommend Philip Balcomb's two books, The Clock Repair Primer, and The Clock Repair First Reader as good reference material for those just starting.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey geodrake - don't worry about asking questions. That's why we're here :) The balance wheel escapements are pretty sensitive to wear, and usually what happens when the movement gets dirty and/or the pivot holes wear, is that the balance turns in a shorter rotation, which makes it run fast. You can probably observe the wheel as it rotates. If it's not getting at least 180 degrees in each direction (360 total) then it needs work. You don't want to clean the balance along with the other parts. Take it out of the clock and use One Dip or a similar product to clean it. Usually they're not bad enough to cause a problem anyway. The rest of the movement will need to be disassembled and cleaned and probably bushings installed. Also look closely at the pivots to be sure they're not the coated type and breaking down. If they are, you'll have to insert Butterbearings or replace the pivots.

I see Harold jumped in while I was typing too :)

4. binman

binman Registered User

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired formerly a carpenter then a site manager f
    Chatham England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very good book i brought was by Steven G. Conover, called Clock repair Basics large a4 size 92 pages with plenty of large pictures, from Amason not expensive, as a newbie it has taught me a great deal.

5. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Donor Sponsor

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    GEOD, there is no quota restriction on permissible number of questions. If there were, I would have exceeded it years ago.
    We LOVE questions. It's what we do.

6. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suggest that before you start to pull out your hair with the floating balance to consider the hairspring-type replacement unit. This is after all the previous remarks have been considered.