Clock running fast

pickel

Jul 26, 2009
Jackson,MS
Country
Region
Hi: Joined to see if could get some info on our clock. This was my wife's father's clock and would hope that i was able to get it keeping time properly.

The item is a Colonial of Zeeland, Mfg's # C435B/ Style 4080/ SN 7314773.

It has run fine since 1976, but a few months ago, the clock started fast. I've adjusted the pendulum screw as far as it will go with hardly any effect. As far as I know , the clock has never been disassembled.
I have the directions and an extra pendulum spring that came with the clock.
I've built cars and motorcycles for over forty years, so feel confident I could do minor jobs ( like oiling ) but would not attempt any disassembly. I've learned my lesson with wrist watches LOL

Thanks for any input :)

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
You're ahead of me on riss watch lessons. I never lernt mine. I never took 'em.
Oh I dunno; Hope I'm wrong but almost reads like the escape wheel may be skipping teeth, a condition that cannot be corrected by regulation.

pickel

Jul 26, 2009
Jackson,MS
Country
Region
You're ahead of me on riss watch lessons. I never lernt mine. I never took 'em.
Oh I dunno; Hope I'm wrong but almost reads like the escape wheel may be skipping teeth, a condition that cannot be corrected by regulation.
Thanks for the reply :D But I have NO idea what an escape wheel is or does. But, will find out and see if it can be fixed. I read about the weights and how they can control the speed of the clock mechanism. Possibly could hang ( temporarily ) a lighter weight ( a few grams) and adjust the speed that way. Opinion ??

Again thanks for trying to help.

I hang over @ http://www.techimo.com/

Great computer and community site. Y'all come ED :)

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Pickel, likely this clock is over due for regular service, a clean and oil.
Like cars , clocks need service too.
I don,t recommend changing weisghts.if it ran with original weights on it .Then it should still run with these weights.
Are you interested in doing a clean and oil on this clock and learning a new hobby?

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Interestingly, the amount of power has little effect on regulation - timekeeping. Variations in power can contribute to changes but they are very small changes. Yours is weight driven so power never varies.
I doubted you knew, but hey! May as well start somewhar! If you were holding the movement in your hand and could look down on it, the escape wheel is the littlest one at the very top with the fewest teeth and they're shaped like spikes! This little wheel produces the ticks you hear as pendulum goes forth and back.
Today's word (two words) "escape wheel". It will be on th' quiz. May be on th' final.

Richmccarty

Sep 3, 2007
Hope I'm wrong but almost reads like the escape wheel may be skipping teeth, a condition that cannot be corrected by regulation
Yes, wrong

Interestingly, the amount of power has little effect on regulation
Wrong again, the power is off, reducing the pendulum aplitude , thus making the clock run fast. Veritas is correct, after running for 30 years (!) the thing needs a good overhaul.

The behavior of you clock, suddenly starting to run fast, is quite normal as clocks wear. It's telling you it needs to see the doctor.

All the best,

Rich McCarty, GradBHI & West Dean Colllege

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You mention that you have the pendulum adjusted all the way. I just have to ask if you mean all the way up. You want it all the way down. If it still runs fast, then yes, see a repairman :)

pickel

Jul 26, 2009
Jackson,MS
Country
Region
First of all, I'm glad to see as many members here "Chimed" in. LOL Thanks :D
Yes the clock needs some TLC, for sure. The directions that came with the clock have the oiling procedure. I believe , I should be ale to handle that.
Going on vacation first week in August and will have time ( and patience )
to tackle the Ole Clock.
Will get back to you fine fellas when I see what happens. Will be reading threads to get some first hand knowledge. Come see us @ TechImo if you get the notion.

Thanks again, ED

pickel

Jul 26, 2009
Jackson,MS
Country
Region
Wish ya well on vacation, PICKEL; Biloxi is nice in August.
Thanks for the well wishes. Was planning a trip to Orange Beach, AL but have too much to catch up on here at the house. Might take a run down to the coast .However, we plan to go to Taladega for the race this fall. Hadn't been there '99 when Dale, Sr. won. Just ain't the same without his smart @$$ around. :(

Will get back to Y'all about the clock. Thanks ED

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamula
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller