Clock running fast, low pendulum amplitude

pigsy10

Sep 3, 2020
Wales, UK
Country
Hi

I have a 100 year old HAC clock which is running fast with a low pendulum amplitude.
The bob is set at its lowest setting and I have also added weight to the bottom of the pendulum and it has not solved the problem.
I attach some photos.
I was wondering if the clock has the correct suspension spring.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

SuffolkM

NAWCC Member
Jun 15, 2020
Country
Do you have a video of the escapement while the clock is running? This clock has an adjustable front pivot (and rear too), and the symptoms sound like the depthing may be too high (or the anchor may be slipping on its arbor with each cycle). A video would reveal all, if you can.

Has the clock been serviced recently?

pigsy10

Sep 3, 2020
Wales, UK
Country
Do you have a video of the escapement while the clock is running? This clock has an adjustable front pivot (and rear too), and the symptoms sound like the depthing may be too high (or the anchor may be slipping on its arbor with each cycle). A video would reveal all, if you can.

Has the clock been serviced recently?
I will get the movement out of the case and video it if I can.
Can you explain a little more about the adjustable pivot please

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Not too bad, then. It's certainly possible that the suspension spring could be slightly too long.

pigsy10

Sep 3, 2020
Wales, UK
Country
Do you have a video of the escapement while the clock is running?

Thanks SuffolkM

See link to video of the clock running.

I also attach a photo of the suspension spring . This can't be any longer or the pendulum will hit the bottom of the case.
PXL_20210621_140700989.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looks like your crutch needs to be bent back toward the plate a bit. In the normal running position, the pendulum leader should have freedom to move forward and back within the crutch eye. IOWs it should be in the center of the slot.

Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes, I know.

But, the pendulum leader is at an outward/upward angle. At the movement's angle (in the photo) it should be at a slightly inward/downward angle.

Easy to test. You will have to put the movement on blocks and shim it until it is plumb in both directions. Hang the pendulum and the leader should be centered in the slot. An adjustable movement stand can make this a little easier.

This falt alone will make most clocks stop, or have a greatly decreased pendulum swing.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller