Clock repair is reductionism.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Ok, so how many of us fall asleep with internet on..? I somehow do this on frequent. I know it's not good for my sleep/health, especially the blue light.
Anyway, my automatic play list keeps winding up with this guy, and I have to admit I rather enjoy his lectures.

In this lecture he explains the difference s between reductive logic vs chaos and the eventual interjection of fractals which seem to show chaos as indeed part of the system of design, which then revert back reductive but generalized answers. I wonder if a clock could be constructed fractal and how it would be repaired.

Anyway, enjoy if you wish.

Reactions: Jess19721

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Thank you for posting this! I listened through it, and he kept dropping teasers about the next lecture, so I'm just starting that one. His mind is so agile one must be on one's toes just to keep up with him, but at the same time, he does a remarkable job of explaining things from the macro to the micro level, while being engaging and downright funny. His story about the splash his scientific paper made is hilarious and revealing about scientists in general - they're mostly reductionists at heart.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Thank you for posting this! I listened through it, and he kept dropping teasers about the next lecture, so I'm just starting that one. His mind is so agile one must be on one's toes just to keep up with him, but at the same time, he does a remarkable job of explaining things from the macro to the micro level, while being engaging and downright funny. His story about the splash his scientific paper made is hilarious and revealing about scientists in general - they're mostly reductionists at heart.
Yes, he thankfully has a style that doesn't discard the average guy. He ties up most loose ends which makes his lectures enjoyable.

I started this thread under the guise of creating a randomized fractal clock but uncertain of any utility. But for novelty sake is ok. That and introduce this guy for appreciation.

I think it's good to explore and who knows what evolves.

He being Robert Sapolsky

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
He gets into the notion of emergence in the next lecture, the notion that very complex systems can be built using just a couple of simple rules.

One of the things I've marveled at is how accurate synchronous clocks connected to the AC power mains are. It may be that the frequency of the power grid is maintained so accurately because of emergence, or "the intelligence of the crowd". There is only one rule - maintain 60Hz - and every single generator connected to the grid follows this rule. Thus the grid tends to run at exactly 60Hz.

There has been a discussion on these forums about how a number of pendulum clocks with the same period hanging on a wall together tend to fall into synchronization. This looks like another example of emergence.

Your idea about a fractal clock is an interesting one. The experiments his students did between this lecture and the next, which appear to have been application of fractal rules to a simple system, brought out the concept of indeterminacy - one can't predict from an initial state of a fractal system with more than one or two rules how the final state of a system will come out, nor can one determine from the current state of a system how it started out initially. We'll have to think about if and how that could be exploited in a single timekeeping device.

Jess19721

Apr 3, 2022
Eureka, CA
Country
Region
Absolutely fascinated by the fractal clock idea. Have to curse you a bit for sending me down the rabbit hole on his YouTube lectures this morning. I'm meant to be doing the weekly shopping, can't pull myself away. Also, this:

"There has been a discussion on these forums about how a number of pendulum clocks with the same period hanging on a wall together tend to fall into synchronization. This looks like another example of emergence."

If that isn't a nice piece of mind candy to chew on today, I don't know what is!

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
The enormity of the conjunction of two pieces of information he gave in lecture #22 is staggering: 1. No cell in the human body is more than five cells away from a blood vessel. 2. The vascular system occupies only 5% of the human body's volume. To understand these "factoids," as he calls them, requires a completely new way of thinking.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
It is a delicious irony, perfect design includes static error spun out purposely in fractal bifurcated intentions.

Yes, I sent you'll down a rabbit hole of mind candy

I have some trouble finding links to follow up/conclusions. Definitely going to search #22.

I been left dry on some of his lecture conclusions, my thought was they reserved follow up for membership thing. Yep my brain toot, never thought to increment search by next number.

As to the fractal clock, I give it wide birth. It can do as it wishes. I like the idea of emergence. But it doesn't have to be clean/predictive.

I don't want to think too grand, but the basis of a quartz time is the resonating crystal. I wonder what could be done of that? Perhaps marching orders for some cybernetic cellular construction. A genuine sentient AI... The resonation pushing, the cellular providing construct solution. (maybe I go too far..!).

Wide birth...!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlfuller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre