Clock Repair Help

Main Street Clock Repair

Feb 17, 2021
Country
I would love some help repairing this Mauthe grandfather clock with a Colonial No. 54E movement. The winding spring (or stop) on the chime side broke off and the weight went to the bottom of the case. This spring only goes so far and then acts as a click and stops it there. I have never seen anything like it. I have to somehow replace that spring that is on the nipple because its broke. Any help would be great and I will attach some photos. DSCN0041.JPG DSCN0038.JPG DSCN0034.JPG

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Those springs are designed to squeeze against the arbor and act as a brake. Believe it or not, you can go to your local hardware store and buy a spring that matches what you have for dimensions. You can cut it off for the length you need. Mount it like the old one and test it out.
They get tighter as tension increases.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
So, they are in effect, winding stops? As you wind the clock the inner of the spring gets smaller until it presses against the arbor and stops the winding? Thanks, Danny

Main Street Clock Repair

Feb 17, 2021
Country
Those springs are designed to squeeze against the arbor and act as a brake. Believe it or not, you can go to your local hardware store and buy a spring that matches what you have for dimensions. You can cut it off for the length you need. Mount it like the old one and test it out.
They get tighter as tension increases.
Thanks so much for your help! However, how do you bend the end of the spring to get over the hold-down screw?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You might have to anneal it first. I didn't have to with mine though.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
So, they are in effect, winding stops? As you wind the clock the inner of the spring gets smaller until it presses against the arbor and stops the winding? Thanks, Danny
They are more the reverse of that. They act like a click, but use tension. So they keep if from unwinding again as you wind. They are quite effective, but I never really liked the idea much :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you want to ship the whole movement. PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drjjpdc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff