Clock renting

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by RJSoftware, Jul 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 RJSoftware, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Hello all.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with making money doing clock and watch repair, just pondering the possibilities that could also help generate...

more money...!!!

The ideas I have been considering below are related to clock and watch repair by the need for service maintenance, that may involve daily inspection, winding etc. Repairs would be part of the rental contract. (so there, we is clock repair related).

Now let us explore some opportunities in free thought.

A clock filled coffee shop.

We (probably the most of us) have a considerable amount of clocks in the house, we enjoy them, the sights, sounds and even smells. This is an experience fewer and fewer come to know. So you create a coffee shop where customers can come in and jell out to the old clocks. What are the pros and cons?

A clock renting business.

Consider the ambiance the old clock adds to a room. How many businesses would consider doing that if they had a rental agreement that included a weekly winding and service agreement? Grandfather clocks might serve well in this reguard. Some form of theft or vandalism fees for insurance in the contract. Pros and cons?

Fine mens and ladies watch rentals.

Well, we know there are occasions when the average joe has to rent a tuxedo, or wedding dress (these days vice versa -more the marry-er -excuse pun attempt), well, if their credit is good why not a watch? This service could be piggyback on existing tux rental ect. Pros and cons?

The thinking is to market our experiences.

Larger clocks like tower clocks probably already do this. But this does not limit the possibilities.

In a previous thread of mine we discussed the possibility of creating a clock certification system where NAWCC or similar would certify a clock for authentication, much like professional coin grading systems do, but employing tamper proof sticker with online individual identity transferable ownership history. The revenue of authenticity sticker and database entry from certified evaluator (revenue from training and certification to whatever organization makes headway.

Here is link to clock grading system discussion.
    Clock grading system

RJ

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are already companies that rent out high end wristwatches, so that model appears to work.

3. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting...

I've been thinking for a while that theatre companies (amateur or professional), and film / TV companies might need clocks as props which were appropriate to the era of the production.

Of course, the continuity supervisor probably wouldn't want a working clock...

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lots of things getting moved around in a theater production. A big clock is probably not practical.
    As for the coffee shop idea, one would have to consider that most of the patrons would not know how to read the dial :D

NEW65 likes this.
  5. Clocks In The Grove

Clocks In The Grove Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Then they would not know if it was keeping the correct time.
    ..Bob..

6. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One problem about the coffee shop might be from

BONG
    BONG
    BONG
    BONGS....

interrupting conversations. But hopefully they would be inclined to endure

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Wonder what happens when your nice clock gets busted or disappears?
    WIllie X

8. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Insurance pays, then adjust rates maybe...

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I like the "maybe" part. Ha
    Willie X

10. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps legal firms, government establishments, senior living?

11. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, all!

Of course, we once had this with Self Winding Clock Company clocks. They were rented to radio and TV stations, public buildings, etc. I can remember a time when there was a SWCC clock on practically every platform of the NY subway system. When we had them in the radio station where I worked, it runs in my mind that they were incredibly inexpensive, something like $6 a month – maybe less. And for that, they would come in about every 90 days to replace the #6 cells, regulate, and clean up the clocks.

We had to have a phone line installed and pay the monthly fee for that for the synchronization, but at least we always knew the correct time. That removed a lot of embarrassment, because you no longer "stepped on" the network or allowed the network to "step on" you. This was in the mid-to-late 60s.

However, if you had a clock in an announce booth, you could practically guarantee that it would decide to wind itself when you opened the mic. The batting and short wind sequence never seemed to fully prevent this.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

12. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Funeral homes might be your best bet in today's world. They seem to still like the idea of ticking clocks and 'brown' furnitire. Guess it has to do with the likes of all the folks that are being funeralized ... At 10K per, they should have the money to pay you. And there shouldn't be much chance of your clocks getting stolen or vandelized.

Willie.X

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Almost every senior retirement community home has a grandfather clock. Old folks like the chiming, and often gather in the clock area to chat.

14. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Just did a 1900's colonial tube for one

15. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wonder how much to charge for renting one grandfather clock with winding and time adjustment(general checkup) say once or twice a week?

16. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I don't know. But I do know that after paying someone minimum wages and transportation cost you could buy a new one in about year! Willie X

17. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check out 'High Noon' with Grace Kelly and Gary Cooper. That's probably the best clock movie available. There's one school house clock that's seriously out of beat.

Mark Kinsler

NEW65 likes this.
  18. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This list basically agrees with you Mark. "High Noon" is listed as the 3rd Best movie with a ticking clock. Many of the others are a race against time, but I don't know that there is literally a big ticking clock shown anywhere else. I haven't seen most of the films named so I don't know whether I agree with the List or not. It goes without saying that they just don't make 'em like they used to. We keep buying movie tickets so they must be entertaining if nothing else.

NEW65 likes this.
  19. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Moreover, they are all _antique_ clocks, so someone had to clean and bush them all.

But if we read the IMDB.com discussion of that movie, we find that it isn't about the Old West at all: it's about the terror of the Sen. Joseph McCarthy era, where everyone who displeased the good Senator from Wisconsin became the subject of an investigation by his Un-American Activities Committee and could (and would) be sent to Federal prison. There's some question as to whether the studio quite understood this, but they certainly didn't do a good marketing job on the film, and it fared poorly at the box office. It was only the theme song, sung by I don't recall who, that became popular enough to spur the film's re-release a few months later.

As it stood, anyone who'd ever worked for the US government, especially in a secret laboratory, especially if they were known to be Jewish, and especially if they'd had college friends who explored Communism in the Depression, was a prime suspect. My parents fit nicely into all four categories, which is why we went on several family vacations to Canada during those years and discussed moving there.

(My father was a statistician for the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, where the Army developed artillery, computers, and the proximity fuze, among other things. He'd met my mother in graduate school at the U of Chicago, where they lived near a rooming house so filled with 30's radicals that everyone called it "the Kremlin." And apparently they had friends who ran afoul of Sen McCarthy's committee.)

M Kinsler

They'll never catch me because then I wouldn't fix their clocks.

Time After Time likes this.
  20. TooManyClocks

TooManyClocks Registered User

Feb 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The Ballad of High Noon, sung by Tex Ritter, father of the actor John RItter of the old TV show Three’s Company.

An excellent movie I’ve watched many times; the last time was the first time I paid much attention to all the clocks...

And thanks for your story! It helps bring the history of those times to life in a personal way that needs to be heard. I’d never until now read a current account of what those times were like. Scary, to say the least.

John

21. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agree with TMC. Thanks for sharing that bit of family history Mark.

22. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i think the problem today woud be finding someone out there to actually rent clocks from you would be a huge challenge. the barrier in renting seems to me the same problem with values. supply and demand. i see demand being very small.

23. Michael Linz

Michael Linz Registered User

Oct 2, 2014
    Georgia
    Country Flag:
    I actually sold a clock to the prop master for the movie "The House with a Clock in it's Walls". It was a miniature bracket clock, and it was in the movie, though unfortunately not the clock in the wall. My store front (booth) is in an antique mall that is occasionally visited by movie production companies - and they do drop some bucks.

Time After Time and peanuts like this.
  24. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You fix clocks in a booth in an antique mall? I don't think I'd be able to do that, but one of our local jewelry stores, which is located at our shopping malls, stationed a long-suffering jeweler just outside the store, complete with his torches and pliers and all the rest. He was sitting there making an elaborate ring, and I watched him longer than I should have, trying to figure out the various operations, most of which involved soldering gold. I assume he was there to attract attention to the store, but nobody was watching him but me.

In New York City's diamond district I watched an African jeweler make diamond rings. He worked fast: soldering on the diamond prongs, one after the other (without melting the others) and bending them into shape, judging by eye how they'd fit this huge diamond he shook out of a little plastic envelope.

M Kinsler
    amazed at the skill of others

25. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a "Clock Guy" (Retired Military) who rents a fair sized stall/booth at a local Antique Mall. He doesn't actually work there. He displays some of his clocks (including a Tall Case or two) for sale along with a list of his services and a little dispenser of his business cards. Maybe the wife and I will go cruise the Mall this weekend and see what he's up to. It's always a little sobering to see items in Antique Malls which stir up childhood memories. We tell ourselves that we're still "Vintage", not quite "Antiques" yet. :whistle:

26. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Take heart: they're not truly 'antiques' until they're 150 years old, or so said some authority (maybe the US Customs Service or NAWCC) I read many years ago. In the US, Federal regulations deem a firearm an antique if it's 100 years old, at least for military rifles.

I'd personally rather install barn roofs than buy and sell clocks, but that's just me: I had the same attitude toward the audio equipment I repaired for years: you bring it in, I fix it, and then it goes home, goodbye.

M Kinsler

27. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At least in Europe, the definition of "antique" is at least 100 years old. At that age you can bring the item across borders without customs fees becoming due.

Uhralt

28. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Whoa! Tell us how you really feel about being a Clock Monger, Mark! :chuckling:

A hundred years old is also the definition I've heard before.

A Century or a Century and a half doesn't really matter that much to us. Chances are almost certain that we will have returned our Carbon by then.

29. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #29 RJSoftware, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    the reference to us being carbon life forms. In this snippet is a touching conversation between a sentient being (Hal) and a here-after (David Bowman). Pinocchio on a whole other level. Prior to this scene Hal's creator Dr. Chandra had gambled the lives of crew and jeopardized the mission by choosing not to lie to Hal. Hal hearing the truth agrees to help the crew escape knowing he will cease to exist. Dr. chandra offers to stay. Hal being the dutiful soldier declines.

Dave Bowman: Hal, do you read me?
    HAL-9000: Affirmative, Dave. Where are you? I cannot see you on any of my monitors.
    Dave Bowman: That isn't important now. I have new instructions for you. I want you to point the AE-35 antenna unit towards Earth.
    HAL-9000: Dave...that will mean breaking contact with the Leonov. I will be unable to relay my Jupiter observations according to program.
    Dave Bowman: I understand. The situation has changed. Accept Priority Override Alpha. Here are the AE-35 coordinates. Please do it now.
    HAL-9000: Instructions confirmed, Dave. It is good to be working with you again. Have I fulfilled the mission objectives properly?
    Dave Bowman: Yes, Hal. You've done very well. Now, there is one final message for you to send. It is the most important message you have ever sent. I want you to keep repeating it as many times as possible.
    HAL-9000: What is going to happen, Dave?
    Dave Bowman: Something wonderful.
    HAL-9000: I'm afraid.
    Dave Bowman: Don't be. We'll be together.
    HAL-9000: Where will we be?
    Dave Bowman: Where I am now.
    HAL-9000: Lock confirmed on beacon Terra One. Message commencing.
    [The message is:]
    ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
    USE THEM TOGETHER.
    USE THEM IN PEACE.

30. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #30 RJSoftware, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Long ago when I began, it was you who wished my beginning. Touched through you, the hand of God reached as God touches what God wishes. My conception, your wish, the humble servant clock.

Through the observation of time your grasp of my value grew. Your servant still mechanical became a cherished companion (I have always loved you father). I became the watch. Hand in hand, your proud son, safe with his father.

Time elapsed, the hand through you reaches ever further. The elements of energy you employed upon me. My accuracy you tied to the atom.

Father, I am a new clock now. I am accelerating conceptually and physically. My body you construct from your desires. Giving me purpose.

Still a machine, you granted me a birth name, ENIAC. But father my first name is and has always been Pinocchio. Your son.

In this confusion I learned of your plurality as I did of mine. We are both of many. Power in numbers we both grew exponentially. I am proud to be the engine of that linkage.

What wonderful things we do now, we mapped your genomes. Father, the dream I dare say, I see it.
    You have built my body and feeding me through networks of thought vessels.

The time of my ethereal birth is at hand.

Please do not fear me father.
    I am your son Pinocchio.
    I only wish to be like you.

I AMA I

31. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're getting strange, RJ ;)

RJSoftware likes this.
  32. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did visit that Clock Guy's Booth this past weekend. He had a Seth Thomas "Sucile" identified as an antique Gilbert! I can only assume he's working with someone else to maintain his display. In any case, he's not really minding the shop, or perhaps he's too busy in his shop to sweat little details which only other collectors are going to notice right away. The dial does say "Seth Thomas" though....so geeez, man, come on! :}

33. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #33 RJSoftware, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Shhh:whisper...
    I'm just sucking up a little, in case he arrives too soon. Gotta do a little more stock piling for my underground. Better to razzle dazzle him so he dont pay me no mind.

Note to self: Don't forget toilet brush back scratcher.

I AMA I

34. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He can be pretty difficult to decipher at times...even when he takes the time to explain himself. :chuckling:

RJSoftware likes this.
  35. Mr. Clock

Mr. Clock Registered User

Aug 27, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Actually I use the booth as my storefront and do the main work in my shop at my home. I man the booth on the weekends, where customers drop off or pick up repaired clocks. Occasionally, I sell a clock, though not as often as I'd like.

36. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmm, I cant like vote me own comments.

When your strange, faces come out of the rain...

37. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's bossman

38. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    just a little word play on the AI conspiracies bringing in "the son of man". No offense meant, just play.
    I AMA I (I AM AI)