• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

clock project, need help in motor replacement

Walz

Jun 4, 2014
Wasilla Alaska
Country
Region
We do make a 115VAC friction set version of the same tower clock movement . The 24VAC movement is direct drive minute impulse - so if you run the motor continuously - it will run too fast - and if you get as lower speed direct drive motor - you wouldn't be able to set it. The movement runs on a alternating phase 24VAC signal. To run this on a cam - you would need a double throw micro-switch - mounted on a 1/2 RPM Synchronous 50/50 split cam. You can also generate this signal electronically - maybe with a timer or a PLC. There are two inputs to the movement - L1 and L2 - and a common - the signals are 24VAC - to run this electronically - you alternate every minute between L1 and L2. I would even think some European master clocks might provide this signal - my understanding the original design (though DC) -was to prevent a clock from advancing an additional minute due to contact bounce.

BTW - the computer running the board is really really slow - I feel like I'm on a dial up line.
I like the movement as long as the hands fit on it.