clock price guide

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by chubbybull, May 30, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chubbybull

chubbybull Registered User

May 16, 2009
    HGV driver
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello can any one tell me is there any good books on
    clock price guides
    pendulum clocks
    wall clocks
    I would be grateful for any info many thanks..

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I dont know of any good guides for clocks.The market is not that great for most common clocks, but good for the higher quality clocks.
    Someone else may be able to suggest a guide for you.

3. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Personally, I don't think such a book would be any use, as prices vary so much, even by the month, so it would be out of date as soon as it was published.

Pendulum and wall clocks that you mention, can be any nationality, age, condition, so you'd need a bookshelf-full! :eek:

£1 - £100,000.

Maybe that's why AFAIK there are no such books, apart from the the usual Antiques Price Guide and similar.

Are you trying to sell a clock or looking for one? EBay, "real" auctions or clock fairs will give you some figures to look at.

HTH

4. chubbybull

chubbybull Registered User

May 16, 2009
    HGV driver
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for reply.I mostly buy clocks from real auctions not ebay prices to high for sought after clocks in my opinion most of the time I wish I new more about clocks which ones are more desirable and I had reference i could turn to..

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree that books showing prices are basically out of date shortly after they are published. For example, there have been numerous books published over the years (the Roy Earhardt series of the 1980's and early '90's) as well as Tran Duy Ly's series of books for individual makers and a number of others that are all now seriously out of date as far as price is concerned. These are all quite good for identification but not pricing, and that is an expensive option at best.

Probably the most comprehensive source today for identification and pricing is Savage & Polite's Antique Clocks Price Guide that is online and available for a reasonable annual subscription fee. This site is a compilation of actual sales from a number of auctioneers and reasonably good for identification by maker, but any dating info needs to be taken carefully.

6. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shenton's Collectable Clocks 1840-1940 Reference and Price Guide may be of interest. Afaik the prices in £s are still revised every so often so you can for a small charge send off for updated list of the prices listed, it is also a very good reference book and won't break the bank.