clock plan vs mechanism specs

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Duzzy, Oct 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Duzzy

Duzzy Registered User

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi there,

my 72 year old father has made the most magnificent jarrah grandfather clock now comes time for me to fit the mechanism.

There is a descrepency between the plan and what dad made to the plan or specs that came with the mechanism, not by much but enough. It’s the cover that takes the chain and pendulum that hides the mechanism.

I’ve attached a photo of the specs that came with the mechanism and I drew what my father made which was according to the plan

Any help will be appreciated

Regards Darren

D3EDEB1D-9D12-4C39-B641-4A66AE003E5F.jpeg

2. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Duzzy, this is the seating board that the movement sits on, no? What help are you looking for? Apologies if I'm not reading your post properly, are looking for someone to make this seating board for you?

3. Duzzy

Duzzy Registered User

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi no we’ve made it but the specs on the clock case plan differ to those that came with the clock itself which do I trust?

4. shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you will need to take measurements of exactly where the seat board will sit in the case, and the seat board you have, if it will fit in the right place, then no work required. I would look at what you've got and what will actually work.

The only possible issue I can see with what your father has made, is whether the dial will fit to the front of the movement with that much extra wood at the front, but obviously without any pictures or measurements we don't know.

5. Duzzy

Duzzy Registered User

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

Today we whipped the two pieces actual size Out of MDF I’ll upload them. As for the face there’s no drama there the added timber is t the rear it may impact the chimes that’s why we were curious which to trust, in the attached picture number 1 is what came in the mechanism specs, number 2 was the plan.

Regards Darren

9FA01690-F964-4A94-A567-0D284EBB00EA.jpeg

6. shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not sure we can answer your question for you Darren, we don't have the case in front of us or the design plans. I think you will have to attach the movement to the seating board, fit the chime rods to the case (if that is the design) and see what you have, see what works, what changes you need to make.

7. Duzzy

Duzzy Registered User

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    No worries thank you, I’m fitting it all for him so we shall see, he called this morning and said he made the other one so we will see which works best.

Regards Darren