Clock Ornamenta

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Steven Thornberry, Nov 27, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    From time to time we catch glimpses of the various ornamenta that could be used in connection with clocks, to show them off or dress them up as it were. I mean such things as the statues, toppers, ewers, candlesticks, etc. I've decided to start a thread and see what comes out of it. I'll start off by posting what my wife and I have found. This is something to which we have become attracted in the last 6 months or so, and I'm sure we have made some faux pas; but we enjoy the hunt and the finds. Below are some ewers we have acquired.

2. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Surrounding my Waterbury Oxford are a pair of crystal ewer candlesticks; flanking my Ingraham black mantel are another pair of ewers (that's Buffalo Bill on top, also called the Scout).

3. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I've also acquired a few statues/toppers. First, a Don Juan that is a statue; a Don Juan that is a topper (though I use it otherwise); and a Diana that is a topper. The Diana was sold as an instrument for striking matches, but I think it is a topper. Certainly, it is shown in some of Tran's clock books.

So what else is out there ??

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This one is stamped Muller Bronze Company, not sure if it was meant as a clock topper, but I have it on top of my N. Mullers' Sons black iron mantel clock.

Attached Files:

5. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    An interesting piece, Harold, elegant and simple. You need to write that article on Mueller for the NAWCC Bulletin.:=

6. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are pictures of the best one in my collection. It is seated on a very large Marti French clock (clock is approximately 50 lbs.)

This is a description of the bronze:

A bronze sculpture by Etienne-Henri Dumaige (French, 1830 to 1888), classically dressed woman wearing crown and seated on swan-footed stool, signed "H. Dumaige", patinated bronze.

I am not artistic and do not understand the value of the statue being ten fold the value of the clock. :confused:

Attached Files:

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    To each, his own, I guess, Lamar. If it is a true bronze, that might go a long way to explaining. The signature helps, as well, and I suppose Dumaige may well have a reputation meriting the valuation.

8. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Richard T., Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Nice Lamar......

This small one appears to be bronze and is very heavy to be rather small. Also signed.

I need to find another clock to put it on since the styles are too different. Not sure I have anything the same style as the statue.

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      File size:
      90.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      File size:
      137.8 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      File size:
      86.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a Gilbert vase set together with the vase clock, and an Ansonia Sphinx on an Egyptian Revival style Pompeii.

Attached Files:

10. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like this critter I stuck on top of one of my Ansonias. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be some bizarre rhino cousin, or perhaps a dinosaur (a triceratops cousin?) :confused:

I was suprised at how closely the burgundy base of the critter matches the burgundy trim of the clock. (But I guess a triceratops-rhino doesn't really match the lion's heads on the sides of the clock! :rolleyes:)

Attached Files:

11. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Having a teenage son in the house, I doubt my wife would let me have a topper like that!:D

12. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Nice Gilbert set, Jeremy. I see similarities to a couple of mine. I really like this color combination.

Another question occurs (not on the Gilbert set specifically) which I put out: Does anyone know whether the clock mfrs. produced their own side-pieces, etc., bought them from a common supplier(-s), or both? My own inclination is the second or third, but I wonder if anyone has any information he or she would like to share.

13. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven, I would guess these ornaments were all made by third party companies. The American clock companies all had case shops for wooden cased clocks, but bought cases from Royal Bonn, Muller, and others, rather than make their own. The enamelled iron clocks also would likely have been supplied to the makers by a separate foundry.

14. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven I like this topic to see what others place on top or next to their clocks. Great idea. Mike

15. clockhoarder

clockhoarder Registered User

May 14, 2009
    Country Flag:
    WOW! This is cool....I have a hanging parlor lamp with a glass dome shade that matches your Gilbert vase set glass to a "T" Same color, same roses....It is boxed up still (No place to hang it right now) I wonder what company provided the glass works......

16. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Jeremy
    Does your Sphinx have the Ansonia logo under the front paw?
    don

Attached Files:

17. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, Don, it does, but the number looks like 1025.

18. jeules0

jeules0 Registered User

May 26, 2009
    teacher
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As a bronze collector as well as a collector of clocks, I can say with some experience that the quality of many of these 'topper' bronzes is absolutely first class, and they are works of art in their own right, with or without a clock, hence their value. Below are some of my bronzes which probably adorned clocks originally, including (1)an Henri Dumaige, (2)a Salmson 'Venus & Cupid', (3)a stunning Carrier-Belleuse 'Diana the huntress' with her bow. The 4th picture is of an early 19th C bronze clock-mount of a shepherd girl carving her lover's initials on a tree trunk (I'm searching for a suitable movement), and the final one is a bacchante or corn goddess holding a non-original ball. (Sorry, some of the taller pics are horizontal as there doesn't seem to be a rotate feature under 'manage attachments').

Attached Files:

19. Josh

Josh Registered User

Sep 17, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks guys... Now I'm looking for accessories for my clocks! My wife is going to kill me. :D

20. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey, Josh, this is the part of the clock that usually is more interesting to the women:D. Let her pick out the clock toppers.

21. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Absolutely, true, Josh. My wife is always on the lookout for a ewer, not necessarily to put with a clock.

22. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When they do not work or function as clock toppers, then they are considered dust collectors. ;)

23. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wish I could find a dust collector like one of these for my larger clock that needs an adornment, ornament , clock topper, whatchamacallit, thingie,statue or topper. There that covers that. Mike:D

Attached Files:

24. instarclock

instarclock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Galveston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In the what-were-they-thinking category, this is the strangest topper I've found. The clock base is cast iron with the statue bolted to the top. The figure is probably spelter. The movement is French. At some point, someone added the gold trim to the case. I'm not sure what's going on with all the chains, but the clock was too unusual to pass up.

Rt

25. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #25 Don DeMarcus, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
    Mike
    I would like to have your extra double statue for my case that I am trying to restore.
    Here is the dust collector statue I would like to have on it.

attachment.jpg

26. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Don, That is the problem, neither of the statues are mine to begin with. That is why I seek one . Mike :eek:

27. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #27 Spaceman Spiff, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2020
    Hi, Rt.

Wow, I really like the clock. But I agree--it's hard to imagine what the guy is supposed to be doing with those chains. I guess either they're meant to measure his chest and bicep size, or just to symbolize that he has the strength to break the chains with his muscles if he so desired.

Anyway, what really surprised me about the clock is the body itself...(er, that is, the body of the clock, not the guy ;))...because it's identical to the body of one of my clocks. Mine (click here) has a horseman on top. Does yours also have a Japy Freres (Japy Brothers) movement?

Thanks,
    John

28. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    A couple of new acquisitions, a mismatched ewer (not sure what went on there), and an artist (possibly da Vinci?), missing his tool.

29. melikesclocks

melikesclocks Registered User

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RT, the guy on the clock looks like Harry Houdini. He was famous for escaping chains and shackles n' such.

Eric

30. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Jeules0, in your experience, could the bottom of a deco era sculpture look like this.

Ralph

Attached Files:

31. jeules0

jeules0 Registered User

May 26, 2009
    teacher
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Ralph. Yes, it could. The central strap bar often has a tapped hole for a mounting bolt to a marble (or similar) base. Have you a picture of the whole figure? Chris

32. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Chris,

Here's a full shot....

Ralph

Attached Files:

33. jeules0

jeules0 Registered User

May 26, 2009
    teacher
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok, I guess what you are wondering is, 'Is this an original piece'? Just from the photos and looking at the colouring used, I would say no. It looks like one of the repro Chiparus-style figurines that are commonly available on sites like ebay. Of course I am only judging it by the pictures.........

34. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:

It seems like the eBay repros are solid cast. This one is hollow and much lighter than the figures on ebay.

Thanks, Ralph

35. instarclock

instarclock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Galveston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #35 instarclock, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2020
    I was thinking the same thing Eric. I've done some internet searching, but nothing definite yet. The figure does bear a resemblance to Houdini. I also thought it's possible the figure was also used on trophies, strongman competitions, etc.

Rt
    -> posts merged by system <-
    John- That 's definitely the same clock body and I really like the horseman topper on yours. Mine also has a Japy Freres movement.
    Rt

36. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Don, I waited all week at the mail box and as of yet the package that you said you sent me has not arrived. Did you get my address correct ? :rolleyes: Mike

37. Gary Ewald

Gary Ewald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Male
    (Retired) Cathedral Clock Winder
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a Gustav Becker that had a oversized Acorn topper that always looked bulky and out or proportion. I came across this rearing horse that was a perfect fit and in keeping with the horses that adorn so many of the Becker clocks. I have the acorn in safe keeping if I decide to put it back but I can't believe it was necessarily original to the clock! In either case, my eye likes the spirited horse much better!

IMG_4526 (2).JPG IMG_4529 (2).JPG

Spaceman Spiff likes this.
  38. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a beautiful clock, Gary, with or without the topper!

Regards.

Spaceman Spiff likes this.
  39. Gary Ewald

NAWCC Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your kind words. It's one of my favorites for sure!

40. Gary Ewald

NAWCC Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a recently acquired a combination Bracket/Pedestal Winterhalder & Hofmeier clock that has a pair of recessed Niches in the pedestal portion They looked very empty and needed something to fill them. I found a pair of brass Victorian figurines, made bases for them out of two old finials and Wala; something to fill the little alcoves.

FIN4.jpg W&H Done#4.jpg

41. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Question for Admin: A few messages above in this thread, there's a post from Instarclock dated Dec 6, 2009. Within his post there's a quote from me (Spaceman Spiff) which contains a "Click here" link referring to another thread. When I click on that link, it goes to a generic page and doesn't show the thread.

When this forum was "rebuilt" or moved to a new host or whatever, weren't steps taken to ensure that existing links in threads would continue to work? If not, that's a lot of linked references which will no longer function in cases just like this one where users are trying to refer back to earlier posts.

Thanks,
    John

42. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is indeed an awesome clock. I saw it posted earlier. I thought the figurines were a cool feature, but didn't realize that you had added them. Nice job, but now I wonder what was there originally?

Tom

43. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of my bracket clocks does have georgian brass candlesticks either side of it.

44. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The move to Xenforo did result in problems with busted links and missing attachments. To be fair, however, some of the busted links and missing attachments pre-existed the move and are often irreparable. I confess that attempting to fix these problems is often no more fun than worming the dog. However, in his instance, I was able to worm the dog, and the link now works.

45. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Steven.
    I appreciate the time you took to reply and to look into this.
    However, when I click on the link, it still goes to the generic "home" page rather than the thread. (See attached screenshot).
    But I appreciate the dog worming. :)
    John

upload_2020-2-15_18-44-47.png

46. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I fixed the link in your original post #27. I did not touch instar’s quote of your post, though I can, but that’s for another day.

47. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ahh, I see now! Thank you!
    (I don't think you'd need to fix the link within a quote)
    Again, I appreciate your time!
    John

48. Gary Ewald

NAWCC Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really agree Tom. The insets definitely begged to be filled and I would guess that over lifetime of that clock, many little "odds" and ends were displayed there. I wanted something that represented the period and matched the case wood and brass fittings.