clock nightmares

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by robert5556, Mar 19, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. robert5556

robert5556 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    West Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just woke from a tall case clock chasing me with a butcher knife.Well not quite,but I have had some very interesting dreems about clocks and a few have been nighmares.I started to laugh after I got up because allthough I wouldnt call it a nightmare it was a bit unpleasent.I was working on a Howard Miller tall case clock for my parents and was not able to finish what I was doing.I dreamed about problems with that thing all night.After I got up I finished in about 15m.I was woundering if any of you had "clock dreams"?I thought it might be funny to share a few.Thanks-Robert

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I've moved this to Horological Misc. with a redirect in the Clocks General forum.

3. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not yet, But if I start getting into real clock repair I suspect I might (and some nightmares might come up while I'm awake :) )

4. horolojeep

horolojeep Registered User

Jan 6, 2012
    Funny you should ask, I did just have a dream (last night) of having to do warranty repair on a bunch of clocks we sold to our local university for their test center. I was baffled when I was in my dream confronted by my wife who told me that all of the test center clocks had stopped...All i could keep thinking was, "all of them?!!" So far they haven't called, but if they do, I'll have been warned....
    I problem-solve repairs in my sleep all of the time...I don't know if that means I am obsessive, or just a really boring person. Either way, I guess I'm am making the most of my "time" for problem solving. Hardy-har-har :excited:

5. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did a house call on an English tall clock a few years ago. It was one the people bought at auction, and they wanted it set up. I set it up, and noticed it was a bit unstable, sitting on carpet. The owners were out, but granny was there. I laid it out for her about how careful they would have to be when winding or setting the clock. Well! granny didn't pay close enough attention! One day, she set out to cook some sausages for supper. The stove was hot and the food was cooking, so she went over to wind the clock. It fell over on her and pinned her to the floor! More humiliated and shaken that hurt, she had no choice but to let the food burn while she waited for someone to come home! True story!

6. Dch48

Dch48 Registered User

Jan 12, 2012
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's what you call being pressed for time.

7. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Once the grandfather clock fell on top of granny, being she spent so much time pinned to the floor, I wonder .........................!

8. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Didn't she have a life line and coudn't she just push a button and say my grandfather clock has fallen and can't get up off of me? I just put all of my nightmares into a box for sale at the next mart.

9. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think I would have screwed some bracket to the wall so to prevent it falling.

The same thing is true for the Ogee's. All it takes is for the door to swing open or be left open and the clock tumbles over.

Nightmares, for me start when I'm into the third week of holding a customer's clock/watch and I have not forced myself yet to do something...

RJ

10. I'm afraid that is more like a nightmare for the customer, bud...

11. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sure thing --- dood...

12. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Good that that granny didn't hold you liable... Clocks are stable or I'm not leaving till they are. I have had clocks I had to glue back together because a grandchild climbed up the clock and brought it crashing down. But not from a clock I have set up.
    H/C

13. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In that situation, you tie up the grandchild and let the clock sit free. My wife has lost more african violets due to our grandchildren yet the same plant stand is sitting there with new pots on it waiting for the little nitwit to knock it over again to get at his #%&*! legos.

14. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 RJSoftware, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    Legos are horrible to step on at night when your barefoot and can't see them. Them corners hurt especially when they roll under the arch/heel. Like the sharpest hardest rock you could ever find to step on.

Only thing worse to step on is those tiny broken glass slivers. Me, I aint no hudini anymore, so bending my foot up so I can see my foot under the light it a tad more difficult these days.

The tiny slivers can get up inside there and stay there. Sometimes for near a month or so. Before I get to where I think man I gotta do something about this.

So then you gotta get the needle out and start diggin. I always try to peel off enough of the top skin to make a hole. That's usually the easy part.

I always try to squeeze it like a zit expecting the glass to ooze or pop out like a pimple. Never does... then you know, you gotta go for the gusto and start diggin into the nervey part. Stab as much as you can stand and pry it open. Repeat...

It really sucks when you do all that and get no pay dirt. My watch tweezers can sometimes work pretty good to pull out a sliver.

15. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RJ, way more information on the zit squeezing thing. The biggest problem isn't bending the foot up, the wife can look at it more easily, it is finding the darn thing being that both our eyesights ain't what they used to be. Well, back to cleaning up the top of the bench so when the grandchildren get here Easter Sunday, they can't do any damage.

16. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    lol..! sorry just a ramblin.

So, you let your wife dig in your foot with a needle. Your a stronger man than me. If anybody is gonna do some jabbin with a needle like that it'd better be me.

It's that stimulous response thing with the instant feedback.

17. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, when you cant see, you remit to the next available set of eyes, even if they aint so good. The digging is so good. This is what makes a marriage.

18. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Clocks and dreams! When I was a little kid my grandma and grandpa had a clock with a dome sitting on top of a bookcase, in the living room. Somehow in my childish imagination, I used to dream about it and I would dream that the clock on top was a face and the bookcase underneath was a body, and the whole thing would slowly chase me around the house to get me. Somehow that became a recurring nightmare. But, I grew up (some would disagree) and that became the basis for a lifelong fascination with clocks in general. The bookcase is long gone but my family still has the clock - an Ansonia Crystal Palace Extra No.1. That clock is featured in my website, click the link in my signature below here.

19. Watchfixer

Watchfixer Registered User

Jun 11, 2011
    TV repair tech.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That same ogee clock I am repairing on, well, in my dream last night came across a mashed up dial face and child painted it on too in crazy designs. I got anxious to fix it by flattening it but the paint changed to a yellow smiley face. !?!

Cheers, Watchfixer